Update on my sister and I

iVillage Member
Update on my sister and I
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 7:32am

So, it's not even 7:30 in the morning and I'm sitting here trying not to cry over another comment that my sister made. I had posted yesterday on Facebook that our guinea pig was driving me nuts because she will rummage through her food and chuck out anything she doesn't like, which results in me sweeping my floor three times a day. So anyways, SO's sister was telling me I should get a dog to clean it up for me (as a joke) and I mentioned that the kids REALLY want a puppy and really, so do I but that I told them we need to wait until at least the fall because I can't do the newborn/puppy thing at the same time without a nervous breakdown. Anyways, this morning it said that my sister had commented so I looked but didn't see anything. Figuring it had to have been rude enough for her to delete, I checked my email notifications and sure enough she posted and then deleted it. It said "Um why would you even think about getting another animal when you have three kids??".

Now obviously, there are meaner things she could have written but I just do not understand why she feels the need to have a comment (and usually a negative one) for absolutely every single thing I do and say??? It's really starting to upset me and so I tried talking to my mom about it because I've talked to my sister and she just tells me she isn't doing anything wrong. Well, obviously I caught her in a bad mood because she starts snapping at me that she isn't getting involved and to stop putting her in the middle so then I felt like a total child, which upset me even MORE because I'm not trying to be immature. I am trying so hard to understand why my sister just feels she is entitled to say whatever she wants to me in no regards to my feelings. It would be one thing if I was always going to her for help or complaining about things to her all the time but I don't. I don't ask her for ANYTHING if I can help it. She also tells me all the time how ridiculous it is that my kids are at my parents all the time and if I can't handle them why would I have another one. The funny thing is that unless I have an appointment or something, I don't ask my mom to baby-sit. She or my stepdad call all the time and invite them over and what am I going to say? No, they can't visit you???

Ugh!! I know I'm more sensitive than usual, but this is really getting to me. I just wish she'd learn some eitquette and start practicing the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." rule!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 8:06am

I have had lots of problems with family..>You remember my SIL who tried to ruin my shower and all of that?? And DH's family drama.. I have had a falling out with a cousin years ago (and now we are reconciled). My younger sister is ok but very opinionated

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 9:20am

Yes, I NEVER ask her to watch them unless I am totally strapped. Unfortunately, one of those times is next Wednesday when we go in for the c-section. My mom has to work, SO's sister has a class, my other sister has to work and SO's parents are going to be in Baltimore until the day after.....soooooo no choice there (lol). However, 99% of the time, I ask my mom, my other sister or SO's sister because they never give us any grief. The amount of times I need someone isn't really that often so I can usually avoid any drama. It's usually if I have a meeting or something for school and SO isn't going to be home from work on time.

The thing I hate the most is that my sister will tell everyone that my mom has to have my kids "all the time" and then she needs to go and help her. When in reality, my mom just loves having them over and will call all the time and ask to have them. It's not me asking. I'm certainly not going to deprive my mother and stepdad of spending time with their grandkids just because my sister's a jerk.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 5:24am

Um, this is not the same sister that you are teaching with, is it? (If so, you were way too generous in your original description)

UGH!

River

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 3:55pm

Oh yes, the same one. I only have one other sister and I don't think I've gotten in an argument with her EVER. Granted she's my half sister and we never really lived together, which I'm sure made getting along easier, but still. Anyways, I sent the witchy one an email telling her to back off and she's been OK. I mean, she's always going to be opinionated and I'm sure working together is going to be awkward to say the least...but what am I going to do? It's not like I have a choice in where she works and I certainly wouldn't leave over that. I think it's just going to take some adjusting and some serious patience on my part. Oh and also a serious adjustment to being able to not take everything she says to heart. Oh boy!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 1:31pm

Hm.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 11:27am
Ugh. Sisters.

It's too bad you're stuck with her.
 BabyFetus Ticker