Working with my sister next year....THIS is going to be interesting

iVillage Member
Working with my sister next year....THIS is going to be interesting
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 3:02pm

Ok, so my sister is a fantastic teacher...she really is. She puts lots of hard work into her lessons and she's incredibly devoted. I needed to start this off on a positive note.

We both graduated from college in 2008 with elementary teaching degrees (she's younger than me, but it took me a little longer because I was working full-time and I had my DS and DD in the meantime). We applied at a bunch of different places, including the school in our hometown. My sister thought she was a shoe-in for that job because she'd subbed there through all her college breaks. I didn't have any subbing experience because, as I said I was working full time. So we both get interviews and hers is a week before mine. She goes, thinks it went well even though they'd just hired a new principal that she didn't know and she thinks she has a

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I think working with family could get tricky. At least she is in a different grade so maybe you won't have to interact too much. It would be really dfficult if she was the teacher for your son. Maybe you could ask your principal to discreetly not let that happen. I would think that they would probably try to avoid that situation anyways since kids act differently with family than they would with their teacher. Good luck though!
iVillage Member

Unfortunately, the way the groups are it really goes by level and first graders tend to move levels quite a bit so even if we kept him out initially, he might end up there eventually. I think the problem would be more of her just wanting to diagnose every single issue my children ever have. For example, she insists DD is opositionally defiant (which, she actually could be...but I'm not really one for labeling and I've just come to understand that DD is very headstrong and difficult at times) and she's even gone as far as to say that she thinks DS has Asberger's because of his ability to remember minute details and the "adult" like conversations she has. To me, that's just absolutel nonsense. He gets his freakish memory from me...LOL. We both can remember the tiniest of details, but I don't think that means we have Asberger's for crying out loud. It just grates on my nerves when she does things like this. As if she's the authority on practically every single child issue in the world when she doesn't even have any and she doesn't realize that saying the things she does is hurtful. Just yesterday she made a comment when I was complaining about having to write an 8 page paper that I could only muster 6 pages out of and she goes "Well, try taking two courses in six weeks or working all day and then going to school." because she thinks my online courses are so much easier. I told her it was rude to talk to people like that and she gave me her standby answer "Well, it's true." This is how she is...she will say WHATEVER she wants to people, no matter how rude and hurtful and back it up by saying it's ok because it's true. Ugh.

But thanks for your support!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I don't really know what to say other than I was going to suggest the same thing as the PP.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Ugh!

iVillage Member

Well, I've definitely stopped complaining about her to my best friend (and co-worker) because she made a comment about how it was going to be interesting to watch the family dynamic unfold while the two of us work together. That was when I realized that it was probably not a good idea to complain too much-don't want to drive everyone crazy!

At the moment, my sister is "not speaking to me" as if we are 12 because she recently got Facebook and has just been rather rude in some of her comments towards me and other family members (but it's ok because it's true). I'd had it yesterday because I posted a status that said that our electric company was rather dumb because we got a message saying we never signed up for service at our new house even though we did (I have the email to prove it) and that if don't call immediately, they will shut power off. So my sister sends me this private message that says "Do you really think it's such a good idea to post things about your personal problems and finances so that co-workers and everyone else can see?" I lost it! In no way, shape or form was I posting about a personal problem or finances!! I was merely commenting on how dumb the electric company was and I REALLY didn't like how condescending she was. So I basically told her that she needed to knock it off and stay out of my business....so, now she's all offended and refuses to talk to me.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I definitely feel you on having an opinionated sister. It's to the point that I don't even like having mine come over to my home because she'll make at least 2 side comments to me about something she doesn't agree with (food or toys) or doesn't like.

I'll keep my FX that she doesn't turn out as bad as you think she will come September...
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

OMG...I hate when mine comes over, too. She comments on EVERYTHING!!! Does yours at least have kids? Because that's the part I hate the most. Mine is childless so who is she to comment on what I do with my kids?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
That's so annoying that she would try to make comments on what you do as a parent when she isn't even one herself! That reminds me of a couple of other sisters of mine (I have 5 sisters). One sister had just given birth to her first child and was trying to breastfeed it. Another one of my sisters (who is childless) took it upon herself to inform my breastfeeding sister that she was doing it wrong and tried to tell her how she should be doing it.

My opinionated sister has one child, a daughter (4yo). She thinks her little girl is the epitome of what every child should be and that her daughter became that way because of the way she was raised. She judges my children by the "standard" she seems to think her daughter holds. Her daughter is a bit of a bossy know-it-all, IMO. She also seems to think that the world revolves around her daughter's needs. It's so annoying!!! Maybe it is better that your sister doesn't have kids yet...
 BabyFetus Ticker