40 week appt...what to expect?

iVillage Member
40 week appt...what to expect?
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 10:39am
I have my 40 week appointment tomorrow and I'm wondering what to expect. I figure he will check my cervix and try a sweep (if I'm dilated enough, fingers crossed) and then probably send me home to wait! I don't want to wait any longer... I think that because I was so overdue with DS1 (12 days) that I'm worried about a repeat of that experience. I felt like they wouldn't do anything for me (induce) even though they knew he was a big baby. And they are telling me this isn't a small baby, so should I ask about induction or wait it out?
I've been having tons of contractions but off and on... just hoping that the Dr will check me and say "oh my, you are already 4 cm" and send me right to L&D!! Wishful thinking huh?!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 11:31am
With my oldest I went in at 40 weeks they did the normal stuff my blood pressure had be creeping up so they sentme straight to labor and delivery for cervidal( nothing was happening) with my second we ha already set up an induction date for 40 weeks even o I just met my ob there( I was 3cm for a month with her and just stayed there till the piction going)
This time we already Set up an induction for 38 weeks 5 days due to he size of my second and the speed of my labors.
You can ask but of course different doctors have different policies.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 9:28pm
My thing is that the hospital is an hour and a halfs drive away and so is this appointment. I'm concerned that he will do the check and sweep and send me home just to turn around a few hours later and go back to L&D. Last week the doc checked and stretched my cervix and I had contractions all night. So I'm expecting the same if not worse this time, hopefully sending me into labor!
I'm bringing my bags just to be safe and we'll probably hang around for a bit after the appointment just to see how I feel...
Im a little surprised how anxious I am about this appointment! Being my 3rd baby I should just be relaxed and calm...but I really don't want to go overdue!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 9:38pm
I'd probably do what you said hang around or a bit after the appointment is dh can go ith you. I can't imagine being that far from the hospital I don't think I'd make it in time :)
Photobucket