Antiobiotics or Over the counter?

iVillage Member
Antiobiotics or Over the counter?
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 6:01pm

Sorry, I've been struggling with this awful cold or whatever for 3 weeks now!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 7:54pm

i don't know but i have taken both otc meds (was told mucinex was fine for me too) and z-pac (antibiotics). pregnant .and everything's fine. You may need the antibiotics now and otc for symptoms. Hope you get the meds you need!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 10:49pm
Well an antibiotic will only be helpful if there actually is a bacterial infection. It sounds like there may very well be a secondary bacterial infection, but it's not like OTC vs antibiotics is really a comparable question. OTC treats symptoms. Period. Antibiotics will treat an infection, which will improve symptoms. But if you have a stubborn virus (which do exist ...) taking antibiotics won't be helpful at all.

If you know you have an infection (or have a doctor highly suspect a bacterial infection) there are plenty of category B antibiotics ... so If you really suspect bacterial infection, I'd tend to lean toward antibiotics. But the cough can be the final stages of a virus as well. A good doc will want to know more about your cough and mucus (color, thickness, etc.). And also, they'll want to know if you're running a low-grade fever. Even a very low fever can indicate bacterial infection, so you might check ... if you have one, they'll be more likely to prescribe antibiotics.

Good luck and hope you feel better.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 12:18am

As someone else mentioned, antibiotics only help if there is bacteria.