Anyone with baby blues or postpartum depression?

iVillage Member
Anyone with baby blues or postpartum depression?
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 11:50pm
I don't know what it is with me but I am having a difficult time. Maybe its the lack of sleep(3 weeks of maybe 3 hours per night), the aftermath of the c-section, the drop in hormones, or having Aaron in the NICU and our DD with her grandparents in another state. But man this is the pits. Its like I am not excited about anything. I have a hard time holding Aaron because when he cries, I just get all nervous that I am doing something wrong. My body is so out of whack. Even spending time at home(when not with Aaron in the NICU) feels weird. Like I don't live there or something. Its all very weird to me. Anyone else feeling anything remotely close to what I am describing?

Alicia
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member

OMG Shell thank you SO much for saying that!!! Newborn is not my favorite stage either and I've always felt guilty saying that! To be honest, I really like from about 4 months up...at that point, you're on a good schedule and the baby is more interactive. The newborn stage is so frustrating for me because I've just never dealt well with the lack of sleep and routine. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I was feeling pretty good up until today, at 18 days PP. :( I just feel reallllly worn out, tired, other 2 kids driving me NUTS, and sick of having Ethan stuck onto my boob 24/7. It doesn't help that DH went back to work today.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
oh yikes. that will do it. hope she takes to the bottle well. Carter was one week yesterday and i have been out 3 times without him...which definately helps most of the time i plan it around his eating but i have a pumped bottle in the fridge for a night time feeding as well that my dh usually does. i also am still out and about with him. yesterday we were at the beach for 2 hours (no sun was out) for a get together and then i took him with me to vbs because i had to be my disabled sons aide since my dh had to work that night. its a little kahotic but i think the adult interaction keeps me sane :)
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

Yes baby blues here and there.. If i get a minute i would type a post..but baby is latched onto me most of the day and night every day..I haven't been out alone since before baby (who is 4 weeks monday). I think i will have to start pumping more so i can get a break..Was going to try introducing bottle this weekend..I have no freedom at all and i do want a glass of freakin wine!!!!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member

I felt that way with my first son who also was a nicu baby. Thinking of you. I also think with all the hormones its not easy to frazzle me. i went to a work meeting yesterday and got some news (that i don't like) regarding my job and when i will work when i come back and new 'responsibilities... these changes happen all the time and i usually can deal....but i was fighting back tears . I

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I know I have very high anxiety right now and I'm sure it's heightened by Jackson having been in NICU, but it's the same feelings I get with each baby. It's like I just sit and worry that they won't settle or won't sleep or I won't be able to calm them down...even though they're just fine! It's awful. Last night was the worst, I just sat and stared at him until SO got home and then I could barely hold a conversation with him. To be honest, for me it doesn't usually go away until I go back to work. I think it's just getting into that schedule and routine where I actually have something to do besides sit over my baby and worry. I am SUCH a worrier!!! Also, once I can drive next week I think it might be better because I can go and do things.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I am ok right now, but I have had bouts of depression.