Anyone else high risk?

iVillage Member
Anyone else high risk?
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 8:08pm
Febuary 13th our 2 year old daughter Lily passed away ( she got the flu which caused encephalitis despite having the flu shot) while she was in icu my OB wanted me in weekly to check on baby. The day before Lilys funeral I went in for a heartbeat check and was rushed back for an ultrasound baby's
heartbeat was ranging from 60-78 so way low they sent me immediately to a high risk OB. At that point baby was diagnosed with heart block we were told if she made it far enough to be born she'd need a pacemaker. I was put on steroids for 2 weeks which is experimental for heartblock luckily it brought the babies heart beat to the normal range I've been off steroids for a week now and her heartbeat is still nOrmal my OB and tge high risk OB now believe the baby will be fine but I'm high risk for the rest of tge pregnancy having every other week ultrasounds with the high risk doctor and seeing my OB weekly for heartbeat checks. Anyone else high risk?
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 11:22pm

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 11:35pm

Oh, Chelle, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this on top of the tragedy of your daughter's loss. HUG. You must be a very strong woman to be handling pregnancy in the midst of all this.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 9:17am
I hadn't heard of it till this either.. also dont think i ever heard of encephalitis till what happened with Lily. i've of course research both of them since everything has happened... according to the high risk doctor Grace (the baby i'm preggo with) has/had 3rd degree heart block Complete heart block (complete AV block) means that the heart's electrical signal doesn't pass from the upper to the lower chambers. When this occurs, an independent pacemaker in the lower chambers takes over. The ventricles can contract and pump blood, but at a slower rate than that of the atrial pacemaker. my ob is starting to think now that it may have had to do with my having the flu also (my husband Lily *our 2 year old* alex *7 years old* and i all got the flu all had flu shots... the doctor thinks the baby may have gotten sick from it too and between my immune system and the steroids the baby isn't 'sick' anymore. maybe once we get a few more good heartbeat checks off of the steroids i'll worry less.. yeah probably not
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 9:20am
Thanks both of my kids have been born at 40 weeks and 40 weeks 1 day both induced vaginal non epidural births(both quick labor part with #1 was about 4 hours* with #2 was under an hour)... so the thought of needing a c section ( if her heart beat doesn't stay up i'll have to have one because of the stress of a vaginal birth on her) scares the day lights out of me.. of course the most important thing is a healthy baby and right now it's looking like we'll luck out and she wont have any problems from this but i think i'll worry the whole pregnancy it'll come back.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 11:34am

Wow, that is so crazy that the flu shots didn't protect even one of you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 11:38am

Big ((Hugs))

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 11:51am

Chelle, I have no advice to give you... I just wanted to tell you how so very sorry I am about Lily passing away, and now this. I have been thinking about you and Lily alot. Many hugs to you and your family. Please KUP.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 12:07pm

i have heard that small children now need 2 flu shots for protection completely. God bless you Chell for going on all while going through what is probably the hardest thing a parent will have to deal with. I will pray for Grace to grow nice and healthy. I am sure all the stress you have had is extremely difficult especially being pregnant on top of everything.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 5:35pm
chelle...i have been keeping you & your family in my prayers daily! my heart is still hurting for you, for your loss. i'm so sorry to hear you then had to deal with another matter that's so emotionally charged...but at the same time i'm happy to hear the treatment has worked and i hope & pray everything continues to go well for you and the baby. you will all continue to be in my prayers {{hugs}}
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 8:57pm

Chele,

Pages