Anyone else hire / hiring a doula?

iVillage Member
Anyone else hire / hiring a doula?
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 12:34am

I just hired a doula -- after much back and forth with myself about whether I could rationalize the expense, and sadly finding it was not covered under my flex spending plan (many plans DO include it)... but I decided to go for it and now that I've met and hired a doula I feel SUCH great relief and happiness with my decision! And if something gives me a little happy during my pregnancy it already feels worth it! This has been a rough one.

Anyone else hire a doula? What criteria did you use, if any beyond personality? how many did you interview?

Have you used one in the past and how did that go? Any tips?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 1:55pm

We will definitely be using a doula again.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 6:05pm
I wish I could hire one. They're a little too expensive for us, I'm afraid.

It would be nice to have someone to coach me who is experienced at it, and who can act as my advocate when the hospital staff gets pushy. Oh well...
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 7:47pm

I've never hired a doula, but for my first birth I had my sister act in that role.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 11:44pm

Sam & River, thanks for sharing your awesome experiences!! I am hoping a doula will add a measure of comfort/help & it seems promising :-)

@rocheen , I also cannot afford it. But I kept coming back to how much I spent on my wedding (6 months of agressive saving up following by almost a full year of agressively paying off debt) and then I think, by comparison, I think $700 is too much for somethign that REALLY IS a most important day of my life (a wedding is just a party, pales next to a birth I think). So I decided to go for it even if it ends up meanign paying it off slowly.

Just my opinion :-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-20-2011 - 10:51am

Just a quick note for those who feel the price of a doula is a bit steep for them.