Anyone else's OB *not* checking dilation?

iVillage Member
Anyone else's OB *not* checking dilation?
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 10:09pm

I am due early July so maybe most of you guys have not passed the 36 week mark yet, but that is typically when OB's start checking if you are dilated at all.

Mine didn't and I was shocked LOL.

iVillage Member
Your OB sounds very wise!! My midwife practice won't do internal exams at all unless there is some need. Last time the most "medical" of all the midwives was my last appt ... she knew I'd gone into labor at 39 weeks with my 1st and that my midwife (who was out of town only this one weekend) would be gone and I hadn't met the one midwife who would be on call. So she did want to check me - not for dilation but for position of cervix - to see if I was even beginning to show signs of impending labor. As it turns out my cervix had shifted quite a bit, so she ran and got the other midwife just so I could say hi to her and shake her hand. Anyway, sure enough I went into labor 2-3 days later at exactly 39 weeks. And the midwife with whom I'd never had an appt ended up delivering me (she was great though). My midwife - whom I loved dearly - was gone only 2 days and missed my birth. Now she's retired so she won't deliver this baby either. I see a new midwife in the practice now, but we don't have any special bond. She won't come deliver me if she's not on call (which my last midwife would have done except that she was out of town). I actually kind of hope that the midwife on call when I go into labor is the same one who delivered me last baby. I did like her a lot and I've already been through labor with her. I'd have chosen her for my prenatal care but she couldn't get me in until 14 weeks and this new midwife had an opening when I was just 8 weeks (and being over 35 and planning a trip at 9 weeks pregnancy I really, really wanted to see someone earlier than 14 weeks).

Anyway, I think many OBs do typically check, but she's right that it doesn't matter all that much. You'll labor when you labor :-)
iVillage Member

Mine doesn't either........lol unless you want her to.check at 36 weeks

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

i was told i wasn't going to be checked at all unless i wanted when i asked about this weeks ago (32 week appt). I have a different nurse or doctor every visit so when

iVillage Member
I'm just 35 weeks today...but based upon my past experience with a different OB/GYN practice and seeing how this group of dr's I now use operates, I'm pretty sure they're not going to check. Last pregnancy, I was checked at 37 weeks and I had to beg to be checked again at 38 weeks (I really wanted to know if there was any progression)...they didn't want to check 2 weeks in a row to avoid the possibility of introducing any bacteria or infection 'down there' which is totally understandable. This time around since I'm having a sched c-sec, I don't care for them to check at all. It's kinda meaningless.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Mine has checked mostly because I am having contractions and I want to know.

iVillage Member

My hasn't yet.

iVillage Member
She is wise! LOL

I will send good vibes that your favorite midwife is on call when you go into labor!!

iVillage Member
Oh good to know other docs/mws don't do it. I think my prior docs were VERY by the book & conservative. I was SO over-monitored (as compared to this pregnancy at least).

I had the group B strep test and even that was shockingly easier than my memory-- no cranking me open with one of those vagina jacks (pardon my lingo) it was just a cotton swab and DONE!

iVillage Member
jenjoy, funny your post made me recollect back 4 years and maybe my prior doc DID give me an option, I cannot even remember! I think back then I was so nervous about needing an induction that I was focused on trying to "make" myself pop early so I probably wanted to know the dilation, not realizing how meaningless it was.