Anyone ever experience PP anxiety or insomnia after baby even when baby is sleeping ok?

iVillage Member
Anyone ever experience PP anxiety or insomnia after baby even when baby is sleeping ok?
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 10:27am

I think i have PP anxiety. I don't feel depressed. I feel anxious. I am always a little anxious but now that baby is here, i am having trouble sleeping even if she is sleeping. Maybe the worry of "when will baby wake me up" is causing problems. I have had sleeping problems since i had my first child coincidentally. It seems sleep problems come with having a new baby for me.. Anyone else experience this? I have used benadryl to help with sleep. I am EBF so i don't know there's anything i can take on a regular basis to sleep. Some nights i don't sleep at all, some nights 3-4 hours. Very tired.. I actually slept better pregnant although i woke up all night and had to pee i fell back every time. Now alot of the time i don't fall back to sleep when i wake in the middle of night.

iVillage Member
Awwww Jen BIG HUGS!!!
I do not fall into a deep sleep either...........I tell my huby that I sleep with one eye open. Even with Faizan in our bed he sleeps soooooooo good, with the occasional wake up for him to inch over to me and latch on and eat a bit then he goes right back to sleep.

Have you tried some camolie (sp??) tea, soak in a warm tub with lavendar oil? Try meditation if you can. Take a short short walk if he naps in the early evening, this can help clear your head out a bit.
If this continues I would call the Dr. and talk to her/him abt how you are feeling. Maybe they can help you find something to help you sleep.

I think we all have this issue. I sleep for maybe 4 -5 hours at night if that. We are up at 5:30 and i stay up-- i have to get everyone else up and ready to go out the door. DH will wake up at 5:30 with us when we do , but he dozes back to sleep after a bit.

Just try some relaxation things first and see if that helps :(
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

I do get like that, but for me it wears off after a few weeks. I do suffer from high anxiety in general, though, and so I have a regular prescription of adavan (sp?). I know that particular drug isn't approved for BF (my BB is formula fed) but it might be worth having a chat with your doctor about something that might be safe. Anxiety can be so debillitating, so I can understand where you're coming from. I definitely think a talk to your doctor couldn't hurt. You never know...there might be something he could prescribe of else recommend. Good luck!! Like I said, I know how terrible it can be so I know you're probably pretty miserable right now.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Thanks Ladies.. I am doing ok (surviving lol). I can manage really well (compared to others) on little sleep although i am not working righ now..Jenna's christening is Sunday so maybe i am anxious about that. I have anxiety about almost everything. It sucks. I try to syke myself out of it but it always comes out in my sleeping. Wait until i get a job and have to go to work again, i'll need a good rx by then.. Liz i used to take an anti anxiety at bed time. I wonder if Ativan would help me at some point though or some other. I have taken citoprolam and/or lexapro. I didn't care for those really. I eventually weaned off of them. My eyes hurt and do have a headache right now and my eyes look bad every day.. I guess i'll see after this wkd how my sleeping is (after a specific stressor is over). I feel like a nut job alot- worrying about nothing for no reason. Ugh

iVillage Member

You are NOT a nut job. Anxiety is a real thing (which I am sure you know), but I do realize how it can make you feel a little crazy and I've gotten the unpleasant reaction from people before that I just worry too much.

I'm on a fairly low dose of Ativan (only 5 mg), but I think I remember my doctor telling me they can even prescribe it as low as 2.5 so I wonder if a dose as low as that would be ok for you. It might be just enough to take the edge off and let you get some sleep.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
There are actually several anti anxiety / anti-depressents that are approved for breastfeeding moms, so if you do feel you need something don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it.

But I also think the pp ideas of hot tea, baths, walks are a really great ideas too. Depending on the intensity of your feelings, they may take the edge off just enough to get you feeling better.

I don't think you're a cosleeper, but if you do take something to help you sleep better ... obviously don't cosleep with baby during those times.

And if you're open to cosleeping, you might try it. I know that is how I functioned with all my kids. Even when I'm not sleeping deeply, the rest is so much better than being up trying to feed, etc.

This baby is actually a good sleeper, so she might do just fine in her crib. But she's already so well conditioned to sleeping in my bed ... lay down nurse and she's out within 5 minutes, whereas she almost never nurses to sleep anywhere else ... that I don't want to mess with it. Cosleeping is working for us now, so I don't think I'll make any changes.

But still I know it's not for everyone. But some moms who don't think they'd care for it find that it works surprisingly well for them when they try it.

Good luck!
iVillage Member

tlbg--i have taken clonozapem in the past (low dose at bed time) i have had insomnia problems coincidentally since first child 15 yrs ago (maybe being a parent gives me anxiety). I stopped taking it pregnant. I know my pediatrician would prob say don't breasf feed while taking this drug and my sister who's a pharmacist said you shouldn't bf while taking antidepressants etc. So much conflicting info because all over the web people say don't bf while taking a

iVillage Member
Forgive brevity. On iphone. You might post on breadtfeeding board.

Short answer is dr Thomas hale is the authority. Sometimes the differences in drugs is literally their chemical shape and how bioavailable they are, how well they get in milk, etc. Generally drugs with a longer half-life are more concerning because the effects last longer.

I don't know your sister, but have several friends who are pharmacists. They're pretty well taught to say no to drugs during breadtfeeding. I once had a pharmacist tell me I shouldn't take zyrtex while breadtfeeding because it gets into the milk. It's true. It does. But that drug is approved for direct use in pediatric patients beginning at 6 mos. My baby was 9 mos - so could have taken drug directly - and the amount of the drug that does get in moms milk is a small fraction of what mom puts in her own mouth.

I tend to personally not bat an eye at L2 class meds if I really need them. And I have taken L3 meds when needed for short periods. Not sure who told you that no antianxiety meds are safe while nursing but that's just wrong. I actually firmly believe anti anxiety meds and antidepressants are way overprescribed in our country. But I also believe that there are people who really do need them ... Some of those people are mothers.

For perspective formula is L4.

iVillage Member

thank you (btw what's your first name? can't remember). I am going to try and get an RX for ativan from my PCP

iVillage Member

Jen, I had to call my primary doctor for something else today and I thought I'd ask about the Ativan for you. He said it was perfectly fine in such a low dose and that he'd recommend it over any other anxiety med for a nursing mom. Looks like you got matching info from Dr. Hale, which is good. I wonder who it was that told me it wasn't safe...or maybe it just wasn't safe during pregnancy. Either way, good luck...hopefully it allows you some rest!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Photobucket