Anyone ever experience pre-eclampsia or High blood pressure in pregnancy?

iVillage Member
Anyone ever experience pre-eclampsia or High blood pressure in pregnancy?
Sat, 12-04-2010 - 10:21am

so i think this is the way i deal with pregnancy. I have normal bp not pregnant -120/70 but pregnant its already 130/88 --i remember with my DD 15 yrs ago i started having higher blood pressure but i never got pre-elampsia but i am older now. I am worried but i guess they will monitor me. I will see if there's a pattern at my next visit. Anyone else get like this pregnant? I had somewhat higher sugar pregnant too but never high enough for gestation diabetes. Hope that stays the same too altho i am worried about that b/c i am older and overweight.

iVillage Member
Hi, I experienced pre-eclampsia with my first child. My blood pressure did not start to go up until the middle of my second trimester, however, I started having migraines and headaches as soon as I hit my 2nd tri. Protein was found in my urine at 30 wks and that is when they made the diagnosis. I actually was under the assumption that blood pressure tends to go down in the first trimester., and higher than normal blood pressure is normal in the last trimester. Anyway, I was not induced until my blood pressure was in the neighborhood of 210/125 laying down...I was 39 wks so it was the best option. Talk to your doc now so they at least note it in your chart, however, I have not heard of a correlation between pre-eclampsia and age and weight (unless you are talking about weight gain during the actual pregnancy). Just checked "Varney's Midwifery" by Helen Varney and age is not a risk-factor. Also, headaches, blurred vision, persistent epigastric pain, blood pressure above 140/90, and protein in the urine are all signs of preeclampsia. Also, diagnosis is usually made after 20 wks, although symptom can exist prior to that. It can be tricky to diagnosis, so I would really recommend you talk to your OB about your concerns. At the very least they will note it in your chart now, and that may trigger a light in the future as your OB is looking over your stats. best of luck to you!
**Rose**  IAmPregnant Ticker
iVillage Member

thanks!! i was monitored when i was pregnant with my DD but i never had protein in the urine. they did note at my first visit friday that my bp was kind of off and they said they will check for signs of pre-elampsia. i read that women who are overweight have a higher risk for the condition as well as older in pregnancy. I am sure a low salt diet would be the best thing i could do.

iVillage Member

Thanks for responding, Rosie, I was curious about this too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I had PIH with my DD that developed around 27 weeks. I never had protein in my urine so it didn'td develope into PreE. I was monitored very closely during those last months- weekly nonstress tests,urine collections (yuck!) and blood tests- and told to take it easy and lay on my left side for 15 minutes every 2 hours. Avoiding salt and excerising helps too. Hoping your BP settles down and you have a healthy pregnancy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I had high BP with DD, but I never had protein in my urine so it wasn't PreE, like others have said. I had weekly visits to monitor and I would always have to lay on my left side which would bring it down some. I started having contractions at 30 weeks but luckly they stopped them. By 36 weeks I was miserable and I could not take anymore so they decided to induce me ay 37 weeks. DD is perfectly healthy with no problems at all. I'm concerned about the same things happening this time so I'm trying to eat better, drink more water, rest more, and exercise more. Good Luck and Keep us posted please.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Jen, I was young and thin when I experienced preeclampsia, I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy, but i feel that was due to the preeclampsia and not the cause. Good luck this pregnancy, and I for one would love updates! I hope it misses you! I am a little nervous about a second round, but I am thinking VERY positive. :)
**Rose**  IAmPregnant Ticker
iVillage Member

Rosie, I was young and thin too though I never developed PreE (I had hypertension). I know how you feel about the weight gain caused by PIH/PreE. I gained a lot of weight after my diagnosis due to swelling. Though I *only* gained 37 lbs during my pregnancy, I lost all but 10 of that before leaving the hospital because

Photobucket
iVillage Member

i was young too when i was pregnant with DD14. I had PIH too --consistent hbp but no pre-elampsia..i gained 40 pounds. i cannot gain that this time as i am 15 pounds heavier starting out than last time and about 30 pounds over weight in general. I just read that obesity is a major risk for HPB and pre-eclampsia and is more common in very young (under 20 ) and older (40 and over) i am 36. I guess my body does the same thing pregnant every time. I read you are more likely to get HPB pregnant if you have before so there i am. I will keep tabs at dr's appt and they said they will keep an eye on it.