Anyone taking medication for depression?

iVillage Member
Anyone taking medication for depression?
Sun, 03-06-2011 - 2:34pm

Hi. I don't post on here very often but I read your posts on a daily basis. I've been having some issues with depression and anxiety lately. I've had issues in the past and have had to take medication for it. I haven't had to for about 4 years. Just recently I talked to my doctor about it and she recommended I start taking Zoloft. She also said that if I start taking it now there is a good chance it will prevent me from having post partum depression as well. I started taking the Zoloft about 1 month ago and I am feeling so much better. My only problem is that I am very worried that the medication could harm the baby, although my doctor assured me it was safe for pregnant women. I am curious if there is anyone that has ever taken Zolofft while they were pregnant? I would like to hear your story and the outcome of your pregnancy. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-06-2011 - 7:53pm

Hi Candice,

I'm not currently taking anything, but I also suffer from anxiety and have usually been prescribed a low dose of lorazepam in the past. They told me not to take it while pregnant, though. At my last appointment, I had a really great discussion with my doctor about my anxiety and feelings of depression (I seriously think I have some kind of season disorder...I only get like this int he winter) and she just wanted me to keep a diary of how I'm feeling and we'd discuss my options at my appointment this Wednesday. I can definitely ask about the Zoloft if you want and that would give you another doctor's opinion?

We had already discussed having me start a medication about a month before delivery in hopes that it will calm my normal feelings of high anxiety and post partum depression. Glad to hear your doctor feels the same way about that, I was nervous about taking anything while pregnant.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 7:55pm
Normally I stop zoloft when pregnant , but this go around I went back on it at 16 weeks ( when our 2 year daughter passed away) my OB and I decided the benefit to me at thispoint outranks any possible issues. I have nursed both kids 2 years each while taking zoloft with no issues to them.
Photobucket