Anyone thinking of getting an epidural this time after already having a natural birth?

iVillage Member
Anyone thinking of getting an epidural this time after already having a natural birth?
Sat, 01-01-2011 - 11:49am

That would be me. I had an epidural with #1 -- it was an induction turned cesarean -- but I LOVED my epidural. It totally relaxed me and took the pain away. With baby #2 I had a HBAC (homebirth after cesarean). It was PAINFUL. I swear the pain traumatized me -- especially the pain of pushing/crowning. Then we had a shoulder dystocia, so that sucked too. Thankfully DD is okay now.

This time, back to the hospital and I am pretty darn sure I am getting the epidural. In fact, I am afraid I will get to the hospital too late for one, or be stuck giving birth at home again. This will be my last birth - I want to enjoy it for once. The pain of the natural birth last time left me in shock, and I was so out of it after. Everything was a blur. I barely even wanted to hold DD.

Anyone else thinking about an epi this time around?

Photobucket

iVillage Member

I had a natural last time because I didn't have time to get an epidural - they did give me something through my IV right at delivery and I would love to do that again - however - it's going to have to go that quick for me or I will

iVillage Member

After my first, no. But that one was so easy (and I had been told such horror stories beforehand) that five minutes after the birth I turn to dh and said,

iVillage Member

Funny I'm thinking the opposite!!

iVillage Member

I always go natural until RIGHT BEFORE it's time to push. Like as soon as I measure at 7.5cm, I beg for something. They give it to me and half an hour later, my baby is here. It's not the labor that scares me... it's the being ripped open from the inside out! LOL

But my clinic doesn't even offer an epi. They only have oral meds or an intravenal. I had the intravenal last time and it was great and I was able to shower an hour after baby was here!

iVillage Member
I have had 2 epidurals, and the way I look at it, when I have a headache, I take a tylenol, so why wouldn't I take something when i am pushing a child from my body? My first daughter, they gave me way too much and i couldn't feel anything. My second was great. It was just the right amount and I was able to enjoy the delivery experience.
Photobucket