baby items --needed or not?

iVillage Member
baby items --needed or not?
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 10:58am

Any ladies actually use and love bottle warmers (for moms going to bottle feed)?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 12:12pm
I've never used a bottle warmer, although I routinely breastfeed. If baby is receiving a bottle in my absence, I instruct care giver to heat bottle by placing in a cup of hot water or running the bottle under hot water from tap (1st option is more earth friendly and a bit easier I think). Plus, even restaurants will bring you a hot cup of water ... so you really can heat a baby bottle up anywhere. But if you are only using bottles, I can see a bottle warmer maybe being useful (although hot water in cup would still work). But for me, I'd never use the warmer myself and it's just a hassle to have a bottle warmer just for the diaper bag, imo.

I have an ear thermometer ... it's fine but not ideal for really small baby's. You'll want a rectal thermometer and you'll want to know how to use it. An ear temp really isn't adequate for a small baby. And you can always do an underarm temp and tell your doc what it is. But if baby is running a fever, regardless of how you obtained the first temp, doc will want a rectal temp, especially in a baby under 3 mos old.

I didn't find my ear thermometer to be that useful until after the first year. There are some that have little lights or beeps to ensure better placement in the ear for more accurate readings. I have one that does this (just from Walmart) but the battery life is terrible. I'm not sure of the brand of my other one ... I've had it for 7 years. It works great. But I usually take multiple readings with it because sometimes you get something really erratic (the whole placement thing I guess).

Just my experiences. Good luck!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 12:17pm

hmmm i never had to get a rectal temp for my teen daughter--had the same thermometer then that i have now.. I guess if dr tells me to get a certain one, i will. I have 2 digital ones. I always took my daughter's temp under arm and drs had no issues with that. I am only talking about a bottle warmer for night feedings if i am pumping breast milk into bottles.. I don't know if i will or not be pumping

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 12:28pm
You know I have a lot of docs in my family, so we don't tend to call the pediatrician a lot unless we really need to. I know I've given our pediatrician an underarm temp (taken while sleeping) and they wanted a rectal temp to help me determine whether to bring baby in ... of course I do know how to do a rectal temp (it's really not hard ... and it's essentially a quick read digital thermometer like you'd use to take anyone else's temp - just don't use one that you put in the rectum in someone else's mouth!!). They also said I could just bring baby in and they'd take the temp (again they always do a rectal temp if the underarm thermometer shows an elevated temp). But since most things are viral and they can't do anything anyway .... we just don't got all that often.

I think a mom who is uncomfortable taking a baby's temp rectally could absolutely get by without doing so. But it is the most accurate way to take a baby's temp. I guess maybe that's what I should have said :-)
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 2:04pm

I bottle-fed my DS, never used a bottle warmer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 3:39pm
i never warmed up any bottles, never plan to. to me, it's a hassle to avoid for the future and extra work i don't want. for formula, we used room temp water. for milk or formula that was in the fridge, i ran it under warm/hot water to take the chill out. no way in hell i wanna be warming anything up in the middle of the night or early morning. that's just me.

i have an all-purpose digital thermometer that we still use for tristen. if you choose to do rectal temp, there are disposable covers. otherwise, we do axillary (underarm) and add 1 degree. not up to oral temp yet. i have the braun ear thermometer which i actually would like to use -- it's SOOOOO quick -- but tristen won't let us.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 4:26pm

thanks all!! i never used warmer with DD15.. Warmed with hot water and later she drank it cold and didn't mind.. I have a few thermometers so i will just see if they are adequate enough. We will be at pediatrician 1-2 days after discharge which is so new to me..since i took first child to dr first time @2.5 weeks (my mom said she took me when she went to 6 week check up!). Boy things have changed.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 6:07pm
DH and I used the Avent bottle warmer with DD and we loved it. And we just used room temp water when we were out and about. DD seemed to like her formula warmed up compared to it being room temp. We want to use it again this time around unless the baby vetoes it.

We did try an ear thermometer at one time and hated it. It wouldn't give an accurate result at all. So we just went with digital thermometers and took DDs temp rectal.

Alicia
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 7:07pm
For us, our pediatrician isn't at the same hospital where I deliver so then he needs to see the baby about 2 days after coming home. But if he was at the same hospital, it would be 2 weeks old.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 7:26pm
We rarely use bottles ( and always pumped milk) so I'd have no use for a warmer. We have one of those thermometers you run over their foreheads it's very accurate.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 7:31pm
Typically for our ped the 1st visit is 2 weeks. Last pregnancy I got 24hour parole from the hospital ( it's a 48 hour stay here)?so I had to bring her in for a 2 day check up
Photobucket

Pages