Babying Yourself?

iVillage Member
Babying Yourself?
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 1:36pm

My husband works 90 hours a week if we include travel time. He works hard and earns enough for us to be comfortable with me staying home full-time. So today, when it kept snowing, I threw my winter stuff on and headed outside to shovel off the sidewalk and driveway so he wouldn't have to worry about it when he gets home late tonight. I was CAREFUL to make sure it was all done with my arms and I didn't feel anything in my back or stomach. My mom found out though and FLIPPED OUT at me that I could have strained myself without knowing. I was really careful not to but now she has me worried. She told me I should be babying myself and avoiding physical stuff.

Which, I can't fully do since I have a 1yo that weighs 30 pounds already and refuses to walk on his own... and a 3yo that weighs 32 pounds and begs me to hold him all the time. I'm always lifting something or someone!

And now I'm freaked out. Ugh. Do you baby yourself while you're pregnant??

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 1:44pm

Nope ;) I will be doing physical activity (walking, climbing stairs, etc) unless my body or doc advises me otherwise.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 4:20pm
No. I've been going to my regular strenuous yoga classes 2-3x a week and trying to work out on the elliptical everyday. IMHO taking it easy only makes you weaker - you need you body to be strong to go through labor.

Plus regular exercise will help so that you won't gain so much weight and help to lose it afterwards.

How much snow are we talking about? 2-3inches or 2-3feet?
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 4:57pm

I still do Zumba two days a week and Zumba toning once a week. During last pregnancy I waited tables the full 9 months and it was very hard work and although I gained 61 pounds I lost it all VERY fast, and I do believe it was because I was so active before. I also did zumba with my last until I got so big I couldn't

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 5:29pm

It was 4 inches! Low enough where my 6yo was out with his little shovel helping me. I seriously was fine but she freaked out at me! Made me promise her that I will NEVER do it again and even told me she was calling my neighbor to call her if she sees me out there. Ugh. I'm 27! This is my 4th baby! I hate being babied. Even my dad told her to give it a rest and he never speaks up to her lol.

So glad I'm not the only one that doesn't "take it easy." My doctor has always okayed me keeping up with my tennis, treadmill, and yoga... all of which I'd go absolutely insane without. I was overweight my whole life until my oldest turned 1... and then healthy eating and exercise dropped me to a size 4, which I've squeezed back into within months after every baby since. I'm terrified that "taking it easy" will make me gain a LOT again and honestly, gaining a lot of weight in a huge fear of mine. I hated being big... I love being small!

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 6:34pm

My Dh works later than I do, so I always have to shovel the driveway so i can get into the dooryard. When I was 7 months pg with ds, i had to shovel a really heavy snowfall. I just did a little at a time and made sure to use my legs and not my back. I was fine. If I had felt anything I would have stopped, but I

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 8:45pm

I mean, I wouldnt go out and cut wood or lift cattle but ya know, we're pregnant, not disabled lol Your body will tell you when you need to rest.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 9:22pm
Exactly - during my yoga class this morning I did opt out of headstand because your not supposed to go inverted when pregnant - but I pushed myself hard otherwise. And I felt GREAT for most of today..... Until the MS kicked in again this afternoon.

4in of fluffy snow is nothing. We are in VT I'll help out with it a little (but we have a snowblower).

I have been using the pregnancy to get out of stuff like doing the dishes :) but I'm still going to work out!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 10:48pm

I just did a cycling even yesterday.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-22-2010 - 12:15am

Before I had my first child, I worked as a landscaper.

BabyFetus Ticker