back up milk supply

iVillage Member
back up milk supply
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 3:12pm

I would like to have some "back up" milk in the freezer for emergencies when I am away and can't nurse.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 3:59pm
I pump 2-3 times per day right after feeding Charlie. I only get 2-2.5 oz each time, but day after day it adds up. Chalie hasn't seemed to find my breasts empty when it is time to eat again. I get the most after his first feeding after we get up in the morning. I have also had no problems with engorgement since just after my milk came in. Good luck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 6:11pm
Your breasts are never empty. Really. Here's more:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction-faq.html#refillmyth

Many moms find an ideal time to pump is 30 min - 1 hour after the morning feeding, when many moms find their supply is highest. Personally, I would nurse one side and pump the other.

Since breasts don't need time to refill, if baby does still seem hungry shortly after a feeding or if you find that baby is hungry earlier than you anticipated, just nurse again. There will be milk. Promise. And in fact, reducing the amount of milk stored in the breast more frequently (ie - nursing or pumping more frequently) actually has the effect of increasing the quantity of milk being produced by your breasts. Increase demand = increase supply.

Here's more on how milk production works. I didn't read this article until I'd already very successfully nursed my first child (no formula , self weaned past 3rd birthday, etc.), and I found it full of information I didn't really know.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 6:17pm
One more thing ... you'll probably find it best to freeze milk in small quantities. The average breastfed baby takes about 2 oz every 2 oz ... 3 oz every 3 hours. So you won't need HUGE bottles. Freeze in small quantities (some moms freeze in ice cube trays ... one cube is about 1 ounce), so you are less likely to waste milk when you thaw it.

We always used the playtex naturalatch nipples, and I personally used the Playtex drop in nursing system (I actually pumped right into the little bags and sealed them with the bottle tops / discs - requires a one-step adaptation kit). But I didn't usually keep a huge amount of milk on hand. I just pump when I know I'm going to need a bottle - say if I'm going to a football game and my MIL will have baby for several hours. Otherwise, I just nursed baby whenever needed.

If you really want to build a freezer stash - which I couldn't really do easily because I tend to have too much lipase in my milk, which causes the milk to spoil easily and therefore requires me to scald all my milk to keep it long term - you won't want to use the playtex one step system because the rings / bags are builky. But if you're just keeping a few bottles on hand at a time, it's super easy and really convenient. And I like the bottles ... reduce air / colic w/o all the extra washing and parts that go along with Doc Brown bottles.

HTH
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 8:05pm

Yeah what tlb-g said..I never run out of milk lol. I have already pumped 5 bags from when i was engorged the first week and a half..I do hear that its best to pump after morning feedings. I am going to try and get DH to give Jenna a small bottle this sat (i'm running out for a pedicure :) Oh and i have playtex nursers..( don't know if they're best ones for br

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 9:03pm
tlb-g...you are full of very good information, thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions! The links you gave were awesome. I did not know that your breast were never really empty...I'm a little shocked!
I also have platex nursers with drop ins, I haven't had to give him a bottle yet though but it will be what I use when the times comes.
I have a medela double electric breast pump and can conveniently pump directly into medela freezer bags, they only hold 5 ounces and go straight from pump, zip then freezer.
I'm not aiming for a whole freezer full but just something DH can give if I run to town or have an appointment and baby wakes hungry.
Thank you ladies for all your very helpful info!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 12:47am
When my first was born I knew no one who had really nursed (I had one friend who nursed for 6 mos or so). I was blessed to meet the most wonderful lactation consultant in Dallas before my DD was ever born. She gave me some great resources, including the kellymom.com Web site.

Since I went from working 50+ hour weeks to being a SAHM, I used to say I was a professional without a profession, which left me a lot of time for research and commitment to something that was important to me.

Fast forward to today ... I've essentially been pregnant, nursing or pregnant and nursing for nearly 8 years (my youngest - now 4 - did actually wean a couple of months before I got pregnant with #3, so I did have a very small break). And after 8 years of nursing babies or preparing to nurse babies, I've learned a lot.

While I've been very blessed to have relatively uncomplicated nursing relationships (I do have severe overactive letdown and oversupply, but haven't had painful latch issues), I sometimes get anxious preparing for #3 ... this baby could throw me a curve ball! But I've already found the best lactation consultants in the area if I need them. And I at least know where to look for help.

Definitely check out the kellymom.com site for more great info. It's really amazing. And kelly is a fabulous LC and an all around incredibly smart woman (used to be a mathematician I think before becoming and LC).

Good luck!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 6:32pm

It's funny - I never really realized how foreign breastfeeding could be to some people until after I had my first.