BF moms who pump too --How do you maximize pumping ??

iVillage Member
BF moms who pump too --How do you maximize pumping ??
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 2:40pm

iVillage Member
Sometimes using a different size breast sheild helps increase the amount you will pump. I have a medela pump in style. It comes with 24 mm breast shields, but I tried the next larger size (27 mm, got them at target), and not only did I pump more, but it is more comfortable too.

I also find I pump more earlier in the morning. I don't know what time you pump normally, but the first feeding when we get up in the morning produces the most.

If your pump (or the parts) aren't brand new, you might find that replacing the membranes (the little white rubber circles in the medela) help create more suction.

Hope that helps. I know pumping plus providing every feeding at the feast is rough. Keep it up...

Emily
iVillage Member
I can get about 4 ounces in approximately 5 minutes with a single medal pump,,,That is if i do it when my breast feel full. sometimes i also will use it while im bf him. some of the things i read was to squeeze your breast at the base to help increase flow. if i do it while he is feeding or after he eats i can only get about 2 ounces in that time. im too lazy to do it for longer than five or 6 minutes at a time. :) I have always had really good let down.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

haha i already upgraded to 27 mm from the start. Maybe i need them larger lol. My pump is brand new and i pump whenever i can. Usually in the morning i want to get a shower when baby sleeps so i don't pump then. I hate to lose sleep and pump when she's sleeping and i could be sleeping too. I am just going to pump when i can and try and keep a certain amount of packets in the freezer for times i want to be out.

iVillage Member

Yay i got 5 ounces in about 20-30 minutes of pumping today. I am trying to build a stash for when we want to go out by ourselves a few hours (DH and I). I will pump 30 min to an hour a day schedule permitting.

iVillage Member

Messiness: nothing hightech - just tuck a tissue or paper towel underneath.

Maximum pumping: no real brilliant advice to offer.