BTDT Moms - how long did you PUSH for prior births?

iVillage Member
BTDT Moms - how long did you PUSH for prior births?
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 3:49pm

How long was your pushing/delivering stage?

If it was long, are you going to try anything different this time?

Pages

iVillage Member

My first, I was induced at 41 weeks, from zero because of a 41 week check reveiling that there were no fluids left for my ds. I had a dry birth, fever and eventually went in and out of consciousness, and my ds's heart rate dropped... so they used a vacuum to pop him out.. Literally, he flew out and was pretty much caught like a football..hehe.. I pushed for 3 hours..

For the rest I had relatively short times anywhere between 15-30 minutes of pushing...

I don't really have any advice for a faster time, because for me it's alot about the circumstances.. If you've been in labor and unable to rest for like 24-48 hours, by the time it comes to pushing it might take awhile...

I have never had any kids that were in an awkward position or anything.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Well, I had a CS for my last one and will again, but delivered naturally for DS. I actually have a funny story about that. At the time is was NOT funny, but it's been six years now and I can laugh. The doctor delivering me was really a jerk and refused to even come see me until I'd been pushing awhile. The nurses said I was at 10 and to start pushing. I did so for almost an hour with no progress before doc decided to make an appearance. He checked me again and said I was still only about 9. So I had to STOP and wait to be fully dilated. Needless to say, I exhausted myself for nothing and then had to push for almost another hour when I was actually 10 cm. That doc was an award winner and was the ultimate reason I wound up switching practices for my next pregnancy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
With both kids I've pushed less than 10 minutes each. I ended up induced both times ( will this time unless the heartblock comes back then I'll need a csection) both times I was on my side prior to pushing then moved to my back when I felt the need. For me I think the refusal of getting an epidural helps as I can tell exactly when I need to push. Both of my Labors have been short too. With Alex my induction was 6 hours 18 minutes with less then 4 hours being labor . With lily induction was less then 4 hOurs and labor about an hour. I'm almost scaredif I do go I to labor on my own we won't make it to the hospital.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

With my first one, i was two weeks late, and in labor for about 15 hrs? something like that..i pushed close to two hours.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I pushed for 2 and 1/2 hours with my first. It was a difficult delivery and had to have an 2nd degree episiotomy and vacuum sunction. She's healthy though but i wasn't right "down there" for about 5 months. I hope its easier this time around!!!

iVillage Member
My 1st was a c-section, but my second was a homebirth VBAC. I don't remember exactly how long I was pushing for, but my MW said it was about 2 hours. I am hoping I am not pushing as long this time!

This time, I am going to the hospital, and willl probably end up with an epidural, so I am hoping that will take away the pain of pushing. I hear subsequent births go fast--including pushing--so I am counting on that! LOL.
Photobucket

iVillage Member

I pushed a total of 4 times and my DS literally just popped out. I had an epidural and I couldn't feel a thing so when they told me to push I pushed with everything I had! I was laying on my back with my knees propped up. The doc was getting ready to do an episiotomy on me and didn't have time, so I got a 3rd degree tear because he came out so fast. I'm not sure why because I didn't do anything special. But I have heard that if you squat instead of lay down gravity works better and the baby comes out faster. I'm not sure if that is true or not. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member

#1 4 hrs from water breaking to delivery - probably a half hour?

iVillage Member

With my first, my labor was 7 hours and I pushed for about 20 minutes.

iVillage Member

My labor lasted 24 hours, from when I first felt cramping of first contractions to when baby was delivered.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages