BTDT's - Anyone else already dreading labor?

iVillage Member
BTDT's - Anyone else already dreading labor?
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 10:50am

I hesitated posting this because I don't want to scare any first-time-moms-to-be, but then I relaized this is just the way I feel, and I really want to know if others feel the same way, as I feel pretty alone in this.

I am not particularly "crunchy", but I have a

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member

Not sure that dreading is the right word, but I was induced with Jessy and am hoping to avoid it this time, but who knows! lol I took a shot of Nubain then ended up having the epidural. My BP dropped ridiculously low (the monitor was beeping at us for the rest of the night) so I ended up having o2 and I know one shot of epinepherine and there was at least talk of a second.

iVillage Member

You are not alone! I lay in bed at night and dread it. With DS I thought it was going to be so easy and didn't want an epidural at first. I had a rude awakening, much like yours. I got epidural at 5 cm and was so mad at myself for it then pushed for 2 hours, they were about to wheel me back for Csection

Photobucket

iVillage Member

I think natural births are WONDERFUL.... if you want to go through it. A lot of my friends refuse to birth any other way and more power to them!! Their birth stories are always terrifying to me but yay! Glad they loved what they did.

I had an epidural block with my first, an epidural with my second, and an intravenal with my third. My kids are SO healthy, rarely ever sick, intellectually advanced (my 6yo has to be given advance work in 1st grade to keep from boredom), and I have zero bad memories about my labor / birth experience. And, I was always up and out of bed within 2 hours to take a shower and feel human again. And I always have what I call a "childbirth high" after because it's just such a great experience and the adrenaline in my system is on overdrive!

I'm not dreading it at all because I already know what I'm going to do and I have no worries about it because I have 3 amazing kids and I've never gone natural. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm a 2 push delivery mom. So, if my water breaks and the baby enters the canal before I can make it to the hospital (30 minutes away), I'm going to have a baby in the van!! LOL

iVillage Member

yes i am scared!! i was 21 last time i had a baby. I went right on my due date! I didn't progress past 3/4 cm so they gave me pitocin and i tried going natural ( did for 10 hrs) then i gave in and got epidural.. they didnt do it right and had to be done twice. I was in labor for 12 hours and then pushed for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

iVillage Member

Tara is that your name? We have had similar labors.

iVillage Member

I too am dreading labour already. Last time I got to the hospital and I was already dialated to a 6, and asked for the epidural as I couldn't handle the pain (I was screaming and couldn't breathe) and I had to wait for a blood test first, and then fluids, and they couldn't even get the IV in my arm! Every nurse and my midwife tried to get a vein, and after like 9 tries, finally the anesthisiologist tried and then he got it in. I was dialated to an 8 by then but I begged to get the epiduaral and then when I got it, it only worked on one side! So by then I was 9 cm's dialated and begged him to re-do it and he finally did and then....the RELIEF was unbelievable! I was able to get some much needed rest after being up for over 24 hours and then actually got to enjoy seeing my daughter born, and the bonus was I needed stitches afterward and didn't feel a thing because of the epidural. I don't know that I could have finished delivering her naturally if i didn't have the epidural so I am SO hoping to get to the hospital earlier this time and get the epidural ASAP! haha.

iVillage Member

I LOVE labor ! it is something I am great at , lol I have had 5 kids and my longest labor was just over 6 hours , the shortest was barely 4 hours, I am one of those who once labor starts it goes fast and I think pushing is the easiest thing ever ! With my first I pushed for about 20 minutes , with each birth since it has gotten easier and easier , my last baby was one push and out he came , the nurses were in awe as was my MIL and all the family waiting to meet him . I think Labor is empowering and beautiful and call me crazy but I cannot wait to do it again !!I

iVillage Member

I was just reading your story and thinking the same thing! I don't know about you but I' scared to death! DS just turned 1 about a month ago so it wasn't long enough to completely forget how awful it felt.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Ok, well I loved my birthing experience. I was induced at 40weeks. They broke my water and started the pit. It was painful. I was already 3cm and fully effaced. I got nubain which was a waste of time and got an epi at about 5 cm. I was fully dilated within 6hours of my water breaking. Pushed for an hour. She was 8 lbs and 7oz. Forgot about everything the minute she was put on my chest. I also had a 2nd degree tear. New moms don't be scared. The pain is just temporary. Everyone is different, so you might have a great experience too :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member

yes i am scared! :( i hope its easier 2nd time but i don't know. my mom had all easy labors but bad pregnancies (throwing up for first 4 months every time). She was at my DD's birth and couldn't believe what i had to go through. lol. She was tired just watching!! My husband said he would never want to go thru labor ahahhahaa true if men delivered babies there would be none!!

Pages