Cereal??

iVillage Member
Cereal??
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 1:09pm

Since I am on a roll with my posting today, I thought I would start this question. When are you planning to introduce solids and what are you going to start off with? I know some people who start at between 4-6 months and some that don't give any for the 1st year, so I am really interested to read everyone's thoughts...

BTW..This is not meant as a debate as to each is their own and I would never comment on what someone else wants to do and thinks is right for their baby.

We will probably introduce a little baby cereal at 4 months.. She likes to watch us eat right now and just about drools over our food..hehe..

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 1:49pm

guess after 4mth dr appt we will see.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 5:28pm

I plan on doing what I did with DS1, which is to start cereal at 4 months and then start with some veggies a month or so later and then some fruits. I tried the same thing with DD, but her reflux was so bad that she couldn't handle solids until about 7 months or so. We'll just see how Jack does.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 5:56pm

I don't plan to introduce anything until 6mos, though my third initiated it a few days before that mark dipping fingers in food.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 11:49pm
I'm not sure why the solids between 4-6 months continues to persist as a pediatric recommendation (this is not about debate) because the official AAP stance for breastfeeding infants is that no other nourishment beyond breastmilk should be given for 6 months. I know our nurse practitioner reminded me not to start cereal before 4 mos ... and I'm thinking, why would I? We don't even start considering solids until 6 months. Anyway, I've always found this to be so perplexing that the medical literature vs the medical advice given by doctors don't seem to match up.

Mostly, I look for baby to have reached all the milestones they recommend for being developmentally ready for solid foods (which includes sitting independently). With the other 2 girls I started somewhere between 6 and 7 months. Due to a family history of food allergies I started with brown rice cereal with the first. By the second I realized I didn't need to start with rice but she actually had an aversion to food (turned out to be a medical problem but ultimately she didn't eat solid foods at all until well after her 1st birthday - and her first real non-breastmilk food was ice cream of all things!).

This baby will start solids sometime after 6 months as well. I don't start with 3 meals a day or even daily. Just whenever ... it sort of increases in frequency as they get bigger and naturally start showing more interest in solid foods. I'm a big fan of baby-led weaning and found both previous girls really began showing a much bigger interest in food closer to 9 mos (except the 2nd one vomited or choked anytime she tried to eat). So I wouldn't expect this baby will get any significant nutrition from solids until much closer to one year. But we'll see ... maybe this baby will be different and will love solid foods more than my other two did.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 12:39am

I have been researching this and I'm not sure at this point.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 2:55am

I've never understood the cereal thing... I guess it has to do with the practice of supplementing formula with cereal to make up for the fact that the original formula lacked certain nutritional needs? formula does not lack these things significantly and rice cereal in the milk causes other problems...but anyway... I have always had cereal on hand, but they have mostly gotten fruit first.

River

PS: Also adding the caveat that I am not trying to debate - merely sharing some contradictions on this one (I think there is some uncertainty over it): as recently as Feb 2011 the AAP was recommending 4-6 mos for starting solids, so while I personally would go with 6 mos, it is not surprising that pediatricians

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 9:00am
Oh I agree there are contradictory statements ... I don't have time to go look up but it's the subcommittee on infant feeding that specifically says no solid foods before 6 mos. Because of the history of food allergies in our family - and my greater belief that baby's development is a better guide than any point on the calendar - we never even consider solids before 6 mos.

The allergists are pretty firm on the risks of starting solids before 6 mos, and my own physician (not our pediatrician - my personal physician) suggested no solids before 1 year. I really thought that was excessive, as my oldest daughter was definitely interested in at least tasting / trying foods well before her first birthday. Little did I know that my 2nd daughter - who also was interested at least for awhile but gave up when she kept choking (literally choking, as in required parental intervention) or vomiting - would go several months beyond her first birthday before really eating solids. So I guess maybe some kids do wait a long while.

For me, the benefits of early solids are not particularly clear, while the risks of early solids are very clear. So we wait ...

The one thing I've heard with early solids is if you do start them before 6 mos that is when they are more likely to recommend the rice cereal because it is not very allergenic and less likely to result in sensitization than other foods. But if you're waiting until 6 mos at least, rice cereal is likely not really a necessity. And of course now they offer the brown rice cereal, which is less processed than the traditional variety for those who care about that kind of thing.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 10:11am

I can really understand waiting if your family has strong allergies. I plan to introduce rice cereal at 4 months, but more as a "let's see how she does" thing, not pushing it, if she takes it well than that's fine, if not that's okay too..

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 10:45am

You know until you brought the subject up i was assuming 6mths but then i was like hmmm maybe that's not the protocol but now i'm thinking i will wait too until 6mths at least. I have a ton of allergies to food and everything under the sun so that's why i wanted to bf in the first place so i don't want to do anything that could make Jenna have allergies by introducing foods too soon. When i was a

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 11:10am

Ok, not trying to debate, and I really hope it doesn't start one.

Photobucket

Pages