Cervical exams... and DTD

iVillage Member
Cervical exams... and DTD
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 1:32pm

I found myself thinking about something this weekend... On Friday, I had a need for a simple cervical check (well I thought it was a simple thing - apparently when they check for membranes leaking they only do that at the hospital), and I got stuck going to L&D and they have a protocal that requires putting you on the EFM - silly given that I was not having active contractions at the moment and I just wanted to make certain I was not leaking

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 2:24pm
I think some people do check their own cervix.... There really is no 'reason' to check your cervix which is why i think it is discouraged...for instance my friend broke her own water (on purpose)....and then was angry at the nurses for treating her 'rudely' when she showed up at the hospital. That is kind of her personality though , very impatient. I think that the wrong hands up there are just not a good thing. i know nothing of cervix's so i wouldn't know what to do anyway. ;)
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 4:10pm
I only know that cervical exams (by anyone) increase risk of infection (group b strep if mom is positive) and that is why it is generally discouraged. I'd guess research hasn't shown increased risk of baby being infected w/ group b strep from DTD.

But I did have this same question pass through my mind the other day. I really don't know, but I hypothesized that while DTD since your cervix moves higher and the vaginal canal elongates (as part of arousal) that perhaps there is decreased risk of contamination ... and of course the fluids are sterile.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 4:45pm

Wow! She broke her water on purpose? Wow.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 4:46pm

The only question I really have an answer to is why DTD can sometimes cause labor. According to everything I've ever read, semen can cause the cervix to thin which can sometimes lead to labor...although I tried it with both of my past pregnancies and it never did a thing ; )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:39pm
I've checked my cervix for dilation several times since I reached 36 wks. Mainly for curiousity reasons. I always made sure my hands were very clean. Semen helps to dilate the cervix.
Photobucket