Co-sleepers? Soy Formula?

iVillage Member
Co-sleepers? Soy Formula?
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 8:41pm

Ok...double whammy here!!! First, oes anyone have a co-sleeper? If so, what are your opinions of it? My mom ordered me one today and I feel sort of guilty that she spent so much money on it (they're about $150) but since Jackson seems to sleep better when right next to me, we thought we'd give it a try.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 8:50pm
Have you tried a sensitive formula? I am supplementing with similac sensitive which is for lactose intolerance. I am also not eating any dairy. It had really helped with her gas issues. I don't know about the controversy about soy so I can't say anything about that. Both my sons had bad reflux and the only thing that helped them was... I am drawing a blank on the name of the prescription. They both out grew it by 6 months. Another thing that helped them was sleeping on an incline. It was horrible until we got it under control. Hope you find something that helps.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 2:03am
Soy is still commonly used as an alternative to dairy based formulas. If you can afford it, you can use nutramigen or other hypoallergenic formula instead of the soy. The idea is basically to eliminate the dairy protein. For what it's worth, about 50 percent of babies who are sensitive to dairy protein also are sensitive to soy protein, so they have no choice but to use the hypoallergenic formula.

With any luck, the formula will do the trick ... this is such a hard age to figure out. They're beginning the 6-12 week fussy infant stage. It could be reflux (my middle DD actually did have silent reflux, which I did ask her doc about but she discounted my concerns for a number of reasons ... ultimately diagnosis confirmed at age 4 because she hadn't actually outgrown it and it became less silent). It could be a dairy protein sensitivity.

It can take 2 weeks to totally eliminate the dairy from baby's system, so give the formula switch a full two weeks (although if dairy is the problem, you'll likely see improvement sooner than that). If that doesn't help, you can try reflux treatment. But ... given the age, it may just be that time will fix all ...

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 9:09am

Boy! I hAd been wondering what you meant about the controversy about soy... so I looked it up...ok now I get it... (anyone with questions too: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bottle-feeding/soy-formulas)

I am thinking though that if it helped with your older two that it might actually be the way to go.

On the other hand, regarding the silent reflux...

My third had mild reflux and he often would have difficulty sleeping on his back unless he was on an incline.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 9:25am

Thanks for the comments, ladies! I had addressed the fact that they are now saying babies who can't tolerate milk formulas also can't tolerate soy, but she seemed to think that since the older two did ok with it that he'll be fine. Either way, we've been on the Enfamil Infant for 2 weeks with things only getting worse, so she really wants me to at least try the soy for 6 days and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, then we can talk about alternatives at his appointment next Monday.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 9:45am
The "how should my baby sleep" question really is a frustrating one, I agree.

I do not have a cosleeper (if I'd bought one w/ baby #1, I think it would be great but my DH was adamant that we buy no more baby gear ... besides I already had a $700 crib that none of my babies have ever slept in except for the occasional nap). We are cosleepers. Or bed sharers to be more precise. And if you're interested in some really good bed sharing stats there's an infant sleep clinic affiliated with Notre Dame University with some pretty incredible research (here's more:http://nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/)

In short, there is some pretty good research to suggest that babies actually never should sleep alone (that's not a popular view in the US I know).

But I didn't mean to get on a cosleeping soap box. It really is a personal decision, and because it works well for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

What I did want to share is that in the US I think there's a lot of "this is dangerous" overload. Babies have been "positioned" for sleep forever. But then one time a baby had an issue (devastating but does not mean that all sleep positioning is a bad idea). Most of the concern is aimed at reducing SIDS (or infant suffocation which frustratingly to me is often lumped in with SIDS ... and yet is something very different).

At any rate, look into mattress wrapping (not because you need to do it but because to me it's comforting to see there are actually competing - with good stats to back it up - ideas about the best way to prevent SIDS).

Also, FWIW (and I do feel it's worth mentioning that my pediatrician and I don't really get along that well ... I'm too knowledgable and opinionated for her liking), but she's remarkably in agreement with me on infant sleep:

Her actual words to me about cosleeping with baby #2 (who actually never napped in the crib either because of the screaming - reflux really did explain everything in hindsight): the US is the only country in the world to make a federal case about cosleeping. Its common practice in most other countries and if it's done safely, it's a good option for many babies (could have knocked me over with a feather!).

This time while baby does sleep with me at night, she actually sleeps quite nicely swaddled in her blanket in her crib for a nap. But she wiggles herself to her side and really prefers her belly. Again, my doc surprised me saying, babies shouldn't sleep in a dark room overnight on their bellies ... it's really isn't a good idea. But a baby who naps on their belly isn't a big concern, in her opinion. Nappers are usually in a lighter state of sleep and also usually have mom nearby. So now I let baby nap on her belly is she wants ... tummy time in my house so far always seems to result in a nap. SHE LOVES IT!!

So if it helps to think about it from the perspective that there are even doctors who aren't sticklers for the back to sleep campaign ...
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 2:57pm

You're right...it really is frustrating!! And I know my SO makes a good point in saying that we slept on our stomachs and we were fine, but then again there were lots of things people used to do that we've discovered are really bad LOL. Either way, at this point I'm just going to kind of see where it goes and if Jackson is more comfortable co-sleeping and will actually SLEEP that way, then I guess it's a good thing we bought a lifetime crib that converts to todddler and later full bed because it will actually get some use that way!! I will be interested to see if this change in formula helps things at all.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 8:13pm

Funny thing about the "tummy time" ... My pediatrician moved out of state two weeks before Jay was born and his replacement did not arrive until two weeks AFTER his birth, so I got the sub in the hospital and at his one week appointment.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 8:21pm

Jack is the same way!!! He almost always curls right up into the "frog position" and goes to sleep...only a few times has it not put him right out. It's just so frustrating because I WANT to do the right thing and yet, I feel bad for him because I can obviously tell this is how he is most comfortable. I also think it has something to do with when he was in NICU. For the first 5 days of his life they had him on his belly...so I blame them for this habit, too, LOL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 10:49am

I don't know about the soy formula but I used the enfamil gentelease with the older 2 kids and it worked well for them.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 1:13pm

liz, i already from the beginning your son had problems suggested trying Nutramigen (by enfamil). You can buy powder by bulk and save $$..My first child could not tolerate milk based or soy based and had "colic like symptoms" for 2 weeks until we switched to nutramigen and then she was wonderful..No more crying or gas. Also Jenna hiccups constantly and hasn't spit up EXCEPT last night when DH was feeding her a bottle. I am curious to know if constant hiccups esp after eating is silent reflux.. REALLY?

Pages