cross posted w/ August - How much does your baby sleep / day

iVillage Member
cross posted w/ August - How much does your baby sleep / day
Sun, 09-11-2011 - 1:43pm

Not sure whether to worry or be thankful (I've not ever had a good sleeper before)

I seem to have a really sleepy baby.

iVillage Member

Well, Jack sleeps in 3-4 hour stretches at night, so probably about 8 to 9 hours of sleep at night (broken up to eat). Then he takes one really long nap, about 2-3 hours from mid morning until early afternoon. Other than that, it's mostly cat naps here and there. Since he's awake so much more now, I'm finding him to be a lot fussier, but I think it might just be boredom. He doesn't really like to stay in the same place for more than a little while at a time, so unless I'm constantly changing where he is, he gets irritable. I can't wait for him to be a little older so he can play or use the

Photobucket
iVillage Member

At two months here - almost... and still pretty much eat, sleep poop here... though he has started having times where he is just awake and cuddling.

iVillage Member
Thanks ladies. My baby is 7 weeks tomorrow (born Jul 28). She was very, very sleepy in the first weeks but has been gaining weight like a champ. But I know by one month my other girls were more awake - or at least I remember it that way.

This baby actually has a pretty good stretch of awake time every evening ... sometimes 6 hours straight. She's not terribly fussy during that time either, but she does have to be held and interacted with - she won't lay on her playmat and be entertained or anything.

She does smile some (although not as smiley as remember my other girls being, but at least a few times a day). She can roll from her tummy to her back - again, not every time, but she usually does it at least 1-2X / day. She can hold her head up pretty well when she wants to.

She seems to be developing ok, but I keep seeing how 1 mos old babies are awake as much as 10 hours / day, and we're no where near that. On some days I bet she doesn't make more than 5 hours of awake time.

It's good to hear that there are other babies out there that are still so sleepy. I asked on August, but a lot of mamas still have babies that are just a couple weeks old ... and I of course have one of the older babies.

Thanks again.
iVillage Member

It's funny, today was probably the first time that Jack was awake and happy for a long period of time. We were at my mom's and he sat in his swing and stared at the lights for about half an hour and then laid under his baby gym for about the same length of time. It was so nice to see him smiling and laughing a little bit. I love when they finally develop their little personalities!

Photobucket