Dairy Free/Soy Free Diet

iVillage Member
Dairy Free/Soy Free Diet
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 12:19pm
Has anyone done this while nursing? Eliminating dairy alone has not helped Charlie enough, so the next step is to eliminate soy. This seems nearly impossible since soy is in almost anything packaged. For example, does anyone know of a dairy free/soy free bread? Any advice would be appreciated!
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 9:08pm
I was lactose and gluten free with lily. How long have you been dairy free? It can take 2 weeks to get out of you then another 2 weeks to get out the baby. Do you have somewhere that does organic foods? Whole foods was a life saver... Instead of eliminating soy next I'd just go ahead and eliminate the top food allergens ( milk soy egg Peanuts tree nuts wheat fish and shellfish after 2 weeks try adding one back in at a time and see how h reacts you need to do each item at least 2 weeks if you eliminate one at a time it's going to take a lot longer to figuretge issue out... It sounds more painful then it is lol I nursed lily 26 months :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 9:36am
I am doing a dairy free and peanut free diet. I was shocked at how many things have dairy that you would never think of. I imagine adding soy to the foods to avoid make it even harder. I am not sure which if either is helping or if it was just time that has helped. Maybe in a few weeks I will try adding somethings back in my diet.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 10:47am
Dairy free is really hard, but soy is even worse! It seems like soybean oil or soy lethicin are in EVERYTHING. Good luck with your diets. It is not fun or easy! Two friends of mine had their babies outgrow their allergies by 3 months and 5 months. I am holding out hope that we can go back to a normal diet in a few more weeks!
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 7:20pm
Cooking is hard with a newborn. But if you avoid processed foods, it's fairly easy to eat dairy and soy free (and by easy I mean there are a wide variety of foods you can eat ... not that it's not hard work).

If you have a healthfood store in your area you might find some convenience foods that will be dairy and soy free.

Coconut milk and coconut milk yogurt / ice cream are delicious!!! And they offer some nice treats, which for me is the toughest part of an unprocessed diet.

For meals ... grilled meats, fresh veggies (I eat a lot of raw veggies because it's just easier) and fruits. You can also eat brown rice. I usually make a rice pilaf at home because I don't care for plain brown rice.

I know it's tough. I don't have to follow a restrictive diet now, but my niece - who did outgrow a soy allergy - was at one time allergic to dairy, soy, corn, wheat and peanuts.

Now she's just allergic to dairy, wheat and peanuts. Not having to eliminate soy and corn is very helpful for her. But I know when it was all being eliminated, we just had to plan ahead. Whole grain oats cooked over night in crock pot with fresh fruit and brown sugar. Fresh grilled meat seasoned at home with your favorite seasonings (but read labels because some have wheat and soy in them, but you can use olive oil and fresh herbs and then you know it's free of the bad stuff).

It's a really healthy diet at least.

Good luck and I hope you find some good treats to make it a bit easier.
Now she's s
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 10:32pm

I'm not eliminating anything for her, though I'm thinking of it since she's extremely gassy, and fussy because of it.

Photobucket