Do your doctors let you go to 41 or 42 weeks before inducing?

iVillage Member
Do your doctors let you go to 41 or 42 weeks before inducing?
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 1:07pm

I just found out which i think i knew --my doctors do not induce (unless there's a medical reason), until 42 weeks or close to it. I asked a mother who delivered where i am and she had her daughter at 42 weeks (she was due in June). She had her daughter July 2nd. I am ok with that. Baby will be bigger that's for sure..

I know some of you said your doctors don't let you go past 41. I wonder why. I always thought 42 was universal. Maybe years ago...Shoot if i am that overdue, i'll see everyone have their babies...

Hopefully i don't go that long but only baby and my body know.

iVillage Member
i will avoid induction at all cost but they will induce at 40 weeks. im not sure what their 'standard' is but the fact that my last baby was 9 1/2 lbs at term effects their decision.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

oh okay..I know this baby will be over 8 if i am overdue. They "estimated" baby to be bigger than first if i go to 40 weeks. I guess at that point, they will look at those factors.. I wonder if they also go by age (AMA). I am 36 but everything has been going well so i see no point to induce me until the last minute. I guess my end date is July 21st now if

iVillage Member

it really varies by the doctor... and by the patients needs... due to the size of my last child (8 pounds 9 ounces at 40 weeks even) we'd not be ok going much over the 40 week period... in this case we plan an induction at 38 weeks 5 days (july 21st) due to many factors

Photobucket
iVillage Member
this is a good question.....in the States they induced me at 41 weeks as that was their policy, this doc likes to do it at 10 days over which would be around the 4th July but I'm putting him off til the 5th if everything is looking good. I'd prefer to wait until 42 weeks, it's very unlikely that nature would grow a baby that's bigger then you can deliver naturally unless you have GD or such....alot of the times it's just more convenient for the doc and predictable for them....
iVillage Member

Pretty sure my practice abides by that rule as well. At my old practice, the offered to induce at 41 weeks for me because of size. They were thinking maybe they'd been wrong about the due date. Anyhow, they scheduled the induction and then I went into labor on my own.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

My doc lets you go to 42 if all is good and healthy.

iVillage Member

My OB said last time that they induce at 10 days overdue.

iVillage Member
Good question, I don't actually know what my doc's plans are, we are still going with the flow :-)
With my first child , they wanted to induce at 38 weeks if I had not popped by then, due to risk of blood clot issues. I basically procrastinated and stood them up until we reached my due date where I still was not in labor so I gave in for induction. I was happy I waited because baby was healthy and my body was closer to labor so all I needed was AROM and thats it, no drugs.

With this pregnancy, doc did not see any reason to induce me at 38 weeks (even though the high risk docs generic recommendation remained that 38 weeks was a good time to induce me)
Current doc would rather not respond pre-emptively when there are no signs of any problems, especialy since my son was healthy. (And I am on blood thinner to address the blood clot issue)

So I knew she'd let me go to due date.... did not occur to me I'd go past that or that she'd let me.... we shall see!!!

I also consider my due date to be July 4th, as per my 13 week and 20 week sonogram measurements. But I think my doc still has July 9th as my "due date" based on my wild guess of my last period ( which was irregular). So that buys me time either way LOL

iVillage Member
hmmm...that's a good question. I'll have to ask my doctor what their policy is.
 BabyFetus Ticker