Formula causing runny poo?

iVillage Member
Formula causing runny poo?
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 9:25pm

When Carsyn was a few months old we changed him to Nutramigen for formula because we believe him to be allergic to cows milk and he has really bad reflux. However, the past month, I hardly ever see anything but runny mushy almost water for bowel movements. The only time he has anythign that seems semi-normal, is after he eats his sweet potatoes, which we just started him on, he loves them and has no reaction so I was glad for that, but when he eats just formula its bad. I'm wondering if maybe switching the formula would be best. He can't constantly be having bowel movements like that, it cant be good. and they are so dark brown in color usually, which they never were before this formula really started kicking in.

Any one else ever had this problem?

photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 10:08pm
I think that it is probably fine but I would talk to your pediatrician to be sure. If it is diarrhea, that is not good. Megan was on Nutramigen for a couple weeks and is now on Neocate (another hypoallergenic formula). Megan's BMs are mostly runny and an odd color. The times when they are not runny and have a more "normal consistancy," are times she would probably be constipated on any other formula.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 10:00am

My first child was on nutramigen and the bm's are more runny than when using other formulas...BF babies have very runny bm's...so don't worry about it ;)

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 8:45pm
Oh I forgot to mention we started the rice cereal early on because he refused to eat it out of a bottle and it was a pain so we just fed it to him
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 8:44pm
Nutramigan is for babies with colic due to cows milk intolerance. I have talked to them and tried the rice. Which made no big difference. Its not helping his reflux so he is spitting up a ton still. Which they put him on to try and help with it. He has tries green beans but sticks his hand in his mouth to get them out. Lol they just don't fly with him haha but he loves his cereal and sweet potatoes.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 2:51pm

My older DS had a lot of runny poo early on, and our doctor told us to add rice cereal to his formula.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 12:27am
Isn't nutramigen for babies who are allergic to both dairy and soy? You could try alimentum, which is also a hypoallergenic formula, but my gut says it may not be a formula problem. But I'm the first to admit that I don't know all that much about formula.

Has he tried any other foods besides sweet potatoes?