Formula moms...is this normal?

iVillage Member
Formula moms...is this normal?
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 6:11pm

So, I had to switch Jack's formula because it was causing some major constipation and just overall discomfort to the point where he'd scream all the time and only want to be held. I switched him over to Enfamil's Infant formula (which is iron-fortified) and it has made a world of difference in his temperament and he's finally having BM's again. My concern is with what his diapers look like. His BM's are VERY dark and kind of loose...not really diarrhea, but similar. My mom thought it was because of the iron in the formula. I'm not familiar with this because my other two had issues with milk-based formula and I had to switch to soy (which I know is not really recommended anymore) so I've never really seen anything like this. I'm really hoping it's not anything to be concerned with because he's been SO much happier since we switched, but I figured I'd ask on here before calling pedi.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:06pm

It is Friday so if it is not too late to call the pedi, I would.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:16pm

Thanks...I ended up waiting too long to call, so I googled it. You can actually view a photo gallery of baby poo online, as if anyone but me would ever actually want to do that and what he's having is considered "normal" for iron-fortified formula. It says it won't ALWAYS be this dark, but it's ok if it is occasionally and I'm thinking that since this is all new for him it's probably just taking a bit to switch out of his system. I only changed the formula on Wednesday afternoon so it hasn't been TOO long. Thanks for your input!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 10:19am

Iron always causes darker bm's (even in us lol). Yes when you are using a non-milk or soy based the bm's are more runny. Its all normal.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 2:27pm

Yes, we are back to normal looking diapers now. According to what I read, the iron will cause them to be quite dark on occasion so I guess I won't freak out when it happens again.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-10-2011 - 11:48am

Hi Liz,

I'm sorry to hear that Jack has been in so much discomfort lately but glad that you seem to have found something that works well for him. I wanted to share a link with you to the Taking Care of Baby board here on iVillage.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-10-2011 - 1:57pm

Thanks for the link...Luckily, we only seemed to have the issue for a few days and things are back to normal now : )

Photobucket