Have a question for any moms buying used baby things

iVillage Member
Have a question for any moms buying used baby things
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 7:08pm

I had initially thought i would buy 2nd hand things from craigslist etc. to save $$ for any items that aren't given to me at shower or from friends. I am hesitant though now after seeing so many horror stories on t.v. about bed bugs. What precautions will you take with any used items? Shame the bed bugs are getting so prevalent because you can save alot of money not buying new. I am somewhat scared to stay at hotels these days because of this problem. My area (east coast) seem to be hit pretty hard with this nasty critters. Ugh

iVillage Member

I totally know what you mean about those little critters! I've taken to checking the edges of the mattresses whenever I change the sheets! It's the same thing with lice. We have had a HORRIFIC problem in the school I teach at and I get so paranoid because they can be just as bad as fleas and bed bugs to get rid of. I think the other problem is that we get so worried about being labeled as "dirty" with these things, when it can happen to anyone.

As for buying used things, I don't think I would ever buy a used crib (or bassinet) mattress. You just never know! A used crib is probably fine as long as you have the manufacturer information so that you can check for recals and the same applies for any baby item like car seats and strollers. As long as you are safe from recalls, then I'd say these items are probably fine. As for the mattress, I just feel it's better to get a new one. Walmart has them pretty cheap...I think I saw some online for only around $25.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I would definitely not buy a used mattress..I was thinking more along the lines of baby clothing and toys with fabrics like seats, swings, playpens, etc..I know they say bring bags home and put them hot water right away and dry them in case there were bed bugs.

iVillage Member
I buy a lot of used baby/kids clothes from Children's Orchard. I've never had a problem with them and I've been doing that for about 3 years now. I just wash them before they wear them. With toys, I just wipe them down with Clorox or wash them in the washing machine.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

It doesn't worry me so much if you buy things from a business although Good will may be risky to get things from.

iVillage Member
I guess for me, I'm not really worried about bed bugs and things like that. I've gotten clothes and baby equipment off of ebay before. I've considered getting things from Craigslist, but never found anything I was interested in.
 BabyFetus Ticker