Ice = water?

iVillage Member
Ice = water?
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 1:31pm

Okay I'm not scientist or anything but....wouldn't a full cup of ice be equal to a full cup of water?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 2:33pm

There's essentially air in ice - it's less dense than water ... so 8 oz cup of ice does not equal 8 oz cup of water.

If you're going to eat ice by the cupful ... crushed ice is better since you'll actually get more H2O in the size of cup than you will cubed ice (also it's better for your teeth).

But it does sound like you need more water. I used to find it helpful to stand a drink 8 oz of water at the beginning of every hour ... then you can just munch on your ice all you want the rest of the time. Also, I actually really like to fill a cup as full of ice as possible and top it with water. I think the extra chilled water is better ... and when I'm finished with the water, the ice is a bit softer and really pleasurable to eat.

Good luck.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 8:40pm

I've been doing the same thing...I'll fill a cup with about 6 ice cubes and water and then drink the water. By the time I'm done, the ice is usually melted enough to crunch. Although, in a pinch I've put some ice into a baggie and then pounded the heck out of it with a hammer to get crushed ice that I could munch. SO thinks I'm nuts : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 8:48pm

My DH thinks I'm nuts too!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 12:07am

Unlike most materials (which get smaller when they freeze), water expands when it freezes. This is why cracks get widened over winter... water in the cracks freeze and expand.