induction vs. natural

iVillage Member
induction vs. natural
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 4:06pm
Just wondering what everyone's experience with being induced might be?? I am scheduled to be induced on June 30th. This is baby number 2 so the doctor agrees to do it for child care purposes and DD came fast...almost a home birth it was so fast!! Doctor told me I should do fine as I have already started dilating and thinning on my own. What are others experiences with induced labor??? I am a little nervous but I am sure it's the fear of the unknown!!

Jonelle
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 4:29pm

if you had an easy labor the first time, it probably won't be too bad. I went into labor naturally at 40 weeks, but i didn't progress past the initial dliating so i had to have pitocin (which they use to induce) to get labor to keep going (stopped at 3cm i think). It was very painful for me after Pitocin was administered and i ended up so many hours in labor, i got an epidural after 10 hours natural (just couldn't take it anymore). I had a difficult delivery though (long pushing, vacuum, episiotomy). If you had an easy labor the first time, it may go very smoothly for you. Good luck :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 4:53pm

i've found my induced labors to be quick my first induction was 6 hours about 4 hours of that was labor we started from nothing going on with him no dilation no thinning etc

2nd child 2nd induction with her i was 3 cm and had been for about a month... 4 hour induction only about an hour of that was labor

i' will say the contractions get to be one on top of the otherbut i still managed both labors with no epidural.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 7:57pm
Obviously medical intervention - beginning with induction - increases the chances of further medical intervention. There is an increased risk of c-section with induction. But ... if your body is really ready, it shouldn't be a big deal.

My cousin recently went in for an induction - she was past 40 weeks (first baby) and it Friday before a holiday weekend so I'm fairly certain that doc suggested it for HIS OWN convenience. But she was SOOOO impatient, and she agreed. Fortunately, they never got to the pitocin stage. Her body was essentially ready and the cervadil alone brought on labor (I think this is absolutely ideal).

Be wary of letting them break your water at any point before 4 cm - imo - because if you don't progress past 4 cm and you want to consider it a failed induction and just come back later to try again - you can (assuming your hospital is willing ... this is standard policy for my hospital; however, another nearby hospital does a LOT of c-sections for "failed inductions").

I think ideally just be prepared to be flexible. It might take quickly and expected. But if your body seems resistant, imo, don't push it. Give your body some more time.

My first came quickly as well ... 5 1/2 hours. I was tuned into the "sign posts" even though I hadn't labored very long and realized it was time to go to the hospital. I was contracting every 90 seconds by the time we got there and was at 7 1/2 cm when they first checked me ... had a baby 1 1/2 hours later.

My second I was a little more prepared to go in early even though I didn't "feel" ready just because I didn't want to deliver in the car. I was 6 cm when I got there ... i did spend more time at the hospital in labor, which I can't say I loved. But labor was only 5 hours ... I just got there pretty quickly because I didn't know if it would be 5 hours or 2, given how short my first one was.

But my midwife told me that when first labors are 5ish hours, frequently subsequent labors are about the same. It's only longer labors that get substantially shorter.

Good luck w/ your decision! I think if your body is ready, you'll be fine with an induction.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 11:19pm

How you are being induced will probably affect the answer you are seeking...

I've never been induced, but I have had my labor "augmented."

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 1:08pm

Hi Jonelle,

My experience was that I went in for induction the day after my due date. My doctors wanted to induce at 38 weeks but I held off.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 2:02pm
Thaks ladies for your advice!! I talked with my doctor a lot about the induction. I am dilated and thinning on my own, so she believes, due to my history, I shouldn't have any issues!! I am trusting that she is right. She did say that she wouldn't do it if I hadn't started the process on my own. I am aware of the problems that could occur, but things can go wrong in any situation. With my first, she came early and very fast but I found out after the fact that I had placenta abruption!! In most cases, a c section is required!! I was by fortunate and had a smooth and easy labor. And a healthy baby!!!

I will be exactly 39 weeks when I am induced and I am soooo ready to meet this little guy!! The good news is, my doctor will be at the hospital that whole day for her rounds. That helps to know I will be in good hands!! But, hey, you never know what might happen in the next week!!!! I might progess naturally!!!

Jonelle
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 4:08pm

Wow you were 4 cm dliated and NOT in labor. i went into labor i guess (contractions regular etc at 40 weeks) but only made it while in labor to 3cm or maybe 4 for many many hours--then the pitocin and i progressed but it was anything but smooth but that was my experience