Learning to nurse - hows it going?

iVillage Member
Learning to nurse - hows it going?
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 9:29am

I've posted on the lactation board for my actual question, but I thought it might be good to have a post here for those of us who are nursing and whose babies are just learning to do so.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 9:39am

Though I am a fourth time nurser, I have had more trouble than average with my little beach bum.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 11:11am

I am

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 11:35am

Surprisingly my first time and its going really well (Jenna is 3 wks today!) and haven't used a bottle yet (will introduce one this wkd i think just to be able to here and there use a bottle). I plan on feeding on the breast most days (just a bottle when i go somewhere alone which i haven't done yet). I don't plan on supplementing with formula the whole first year (albeit everything continues this well and baby is thriving). I love it!! I

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 11:41am

River i was also very engorged the first 1 week and a half..and had to pump every day for baby to be able to nurse. Now i am better. I am glad i have a pump because i don't think i could have manually expressed the breasts enough for her to be able to eat..I have no milk supply problems at all.. The only thing i have had to adjust to is feeding around people (under a blanket lol). I have even fed baby three times in the car ! (i have sun shades on windows and put blanket over baby so i am not all showing). I never thought i would be able to do all this in front of people. I am really proud of myself and have to say DH supporting me so much in it (he's read up on it and really encouraging me for the health benefits) and helping with other things (cooking, diaper changes, etc) is helping me.. Its a wonderful challenge to me. The baby pooping so frequently is an adjustment that's for sure!! haha oh well not used to a healthy baby who digests her food so easily!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 12:40pm

Mom2mybaby: Oddly the one time that I had sores that were truly truly severe was with my THIRD too.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 1:42pm
i nearly gave up during the 1st week as it was just too painful, baby liked to eat all the time (hes a big strong boy) with a very strong suck! there was one day where my nipple was literally pouring blood....that day I only pumped on that side and fed baby off the other....the next day it had cleared up (with the help of lots and lots of lansinoh) and things are going pretty well now....there were some weight issues with baby but he seems to have started putting weight back on now finally...I have somethine weird going on with the other side now tho but it's still not so bad I can't nurse at all...hanging in there! I love not having bottles to clean or sterilize tho!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 2:25pm

me too..Like not having to wash bottles, etc.. Its a shame that so many women feel likes its gross or foreign even though its so normal (like i used to when i was younger). My daughter thought it was nasty at first but thinks baby drinking from a bottle is normal..where's the logic in that?? My mom never breast fed any of her kids (3 of us) saying doctors never ever mentioned breast feeding as an option at all. My mom could have saved money by doing it and she was a stay at home mom so working wasn't a problem etc... Glad it's TRENDY now to breast feed

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 3:40pm
If you have pain and sores, your latch is NOT ok. The best way to fix a latch is to get some in person help via an international board certified lactation consultant. Some hospitals won't see a mom after she's discharged and mom is hesitant to spend the money on an LC, but the truth is it's a drop in the bucket over what you'd spend on formula. Another option is to meet with a la leche league leader.

If you really are confident that the latch is fixed, it may just take a few days for the sores to heal (the APNO will help as long as additional trauma is not occurring). If it doesn't get better and you don't have pain during nursing anymore, suggesting the latch is ok ... you might check with your doctor to rule out infection. Most antibiotics are just fine for nursing moms / babies and will usually start resolving issues associated with infection very quickly.

There's no reason to be in pain. But it also doesn't mean you have to stop. You just have to get the professional help / guidance that you need.

HTH
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 5:32pm

Professional help is always best, of course.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 6:20pm

I am uncomfortable at times in nipple area --esp when baby is feeding constantly (every hour or less). I just deal with it. Its not quite pain and i notice more discomfort the more she nurses.

Pages