Letdown cues....anyone tried?

iVillage Member
Letdown cues....anyone tried?
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:30pm
I've had overactive letdown since the beginning of this BF journey (and it's been a real journey) and now that my milk has calmed and I thought we finally had it down pat....LO is not happy now with the rate of flow. He used to choke from the forcefulness and now he won't suck more than a few sucks before he gets so mad and frustrated that the milk isn't spraying out at him.
I've read a bit on letdown cues and wonder if anyone has tried this...train your body to let down with routine.
I definitely know that my frustration with LO when he won't even try to suck isn't helping with letdown...I'm going to try the cues, deep breathing and positive thoughts before nursing. Hope it helps!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 2:33am

Well, I've not specifically targetted let-down... I have had occasions where because the baby was wanting to nurse and my breasts were not quite reaady for nursing... the result was much what you described... it also happens when the baby is fussy because of gas or need to burp and I *think* he wants to nurse but he does not.

When it was fussiness, sitting him up and burping... whala! ready to nurse again.

When it was because my breast was not ready:

1. switch sides - sometimes the other side IS ready or at least more so... and by the time that he has struggled with one, the other side is more likely to be in action and the switching gives the baby hope that it is worth trying the other side.

2. Wait a while and try again. (especially wait until I feel it)

3. pump to get it flowing and then offer... (I have tried this)

4. Offer when baby interested because it encourages production at the times he wants it, but dont stress unless he is rejecting a very ready boob!

5. Persistence - sorry always hated this one.

No formal suggestions....

River

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 10:02am
It's gotten now that the only thing that works is distracting him so he will continue to suck till letdown happens...at first tickling his legs worked then he figured that out and now what works is a Mozart music video on my phone. So for the first minute or so I hold my phone in front of his face while he is distracted by the colors and music he continues sucking and eventually letdown! Seems a bit extreme BUT I've worked so hard and been through so many bumps that I'm not willing to give up! I have plenty of milk and until it's gone I will continue BFing, I don't care if I have to stand on my head and sing opera!
We've made it 4 whole months and that's 4 more months than I thought in the beginning!!! Love it!
Photobucket