Membrane Stripping

iVillage Member
Membrane Stripping
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 11:30am

At my last appointment, my doctor offered to strip my membranes next week.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 1:32pm

My mother had it done on several occasions (not by request for most

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 3:10pm
I am not sure if I will or not. I am finally at the point in my pregnancy where I am pretty miserable. It is unbearably hot. My stomach is upset constantly and I am having a lot of problems sleeping because of all the cramping I am having.

My doctor thinks that if it works, I should start having contractions very soon - like in an hour or two. So if that happens, he will send me to the hospital. I am supposed to bring my bag with me to the appointment because he doesn't want me going home. I really hope that I don't have to worry about deciding whether to let him do that or not. I am hoping that the baby is ready to come on his/her own before then.

I don't know how you (and others) handle having contractions for such a long period of time. I would be a basketcase.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 9:14pm
I had it done when pregnant with my DS. I did hurt, but it did not send me into labor.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 9:45pm

I had it done with my DS at 38w2d.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 12:48am

I had it done with my ds. It didn't hurt any worse than getting your cervix checked. I bled a little bit and then a few hours later I started cramping. It didn't lead to anything but I definitely think it started helping my cervix soften. I had it done again and then went into labor a day later @39 weeks. I don't think it makes you actually go into labor unless your body and baby are ready to. But I definitely think it helps in other ways. I hope this helps. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 1:24pm

LOL I feel like a basketcase!

River

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 4:42pm
I've had it done with my first two pregnancies. I didn't notice a difference in pain level between having your cervix checked and getting your membranes stripped.

I've never had it work for me before. But it's only going to work if your body is ready for labor. I did get contractions for a few hours afterwards though. It worked for my sister. I believe she went into active labor within 24 hours.

I'm going to ask my OB to do it at my next appointment.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 11:38am
I really like hearing people say that it didn't hurt much more than a normal check. I am not a baby about pain but I am not sure I would do it if it hurt a lot.

My doctor really thinks it will send me into labor since the only thing I am waiting on at this point is contractions. Yesterday and today, I have been sore in my pubic area and I can feel the baby pushing down. I think the baby may have dropped some and so I think if anything has changed since last week, I will go ahead and let him do it. I am very worried about not getting to the hospital in time for an epidural and I have no interest in having the baby without one.