New thread--BTDT moms- What if any labor signs did you have in previous pregnancies???

iVillage Member
New thread--BTDT moms- What if any labor signs did you have in previous pregnancies???
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 8:15am

The signs of labor for me when i was pregnant with my first child 15 yrs ago,

Pages

iVillage Member

Well...With my 1st I was induced and never even had a contraction before I was in the hospital, with my 2nd I was induced because I was stuck at 3 for 2 weeks and never had a real contraction until I was in the hospital (again :p ) With my last two everything has happened all in the same 24 hrs. Loss of mucus plug, plus some bleeding, then contractions that are infrequent, then sometime within that 24 hr period I'll go to L&D, they will say I'm only a 2 or 3, I'll walk around and around, and maybe get to 4 on my own or my doc. will start pitocin to get me into active labor...then around 6 my water will break, less than an hour later, baby will be born..

I really wish I could be one that could progress on my own, but I have to feel every cm for some reason!! I have been contracting terrible for an entire two weeks... yet my doc checked me last week and I was still a 1 and not really thinning.. I have an appt. tomorrow and hope he doesn't bring up and "induction date" yet again.. ::sigh:: at least it can't go on forever!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

The only pregnancy I had any impending labor signs was with my last (third) pregnancy.

iVillage Member

Jen i have a bad feeling you and i are similar ((my body doesn't want to go into labor or dilate) !! i didn't get past 3 either and it was painful to get to that!! i stayed there for 10 hours (or maybe they gave me pitocin after 6 hrs --can't remember). I may have dr check if there's anything going on at all tomorrow because i would like to know (not that it is foolproof at all) if i may go overdue. DH has been approved for vacay from July 5th until July 18 (total of 9 work days). and if i am over due i don't want him to take all that time and have none when baby comes. Wish i knew when baby would come.. A friend of mine has been contracting for months and has been dliated for months (funny thing is she and her family were all like "She won't make it to June!") Her first child was a preemie and delivered at 33 wks...After she hit that mark, she's miserable (not used to a full pregnancy like we are lol).

iVillage Member

I went into labor in the middle of night too.. Its great, you get no sleep and have to undergo all of that ;P

iVillage Member

Another great thread!

iVillage Member
With my son, I was due June 25th and he was born June 19th. I had BH's only about 1-2 weeks prior to my due date. Never had bloody show, never lost mucous plug, my water didn't break on its own, and no false labor or real contractions until 3am on June 19th. I wasn't dilated more than 1 or 1.5 cm's prior to that point, from what I remember either. At the hospital, I didn't progress past 3 cm's even w/ pitocin (and dr broke my water after I got an epidural). I probably could've stayed trying to progress for many more hours than I did and I could've tried to have a vaginal delivery, but it was ultimately decided (by both my dr and myself) that the c-section would prob. be the better route. I'm not only short but very narrow and my son was basically stuck. This time I have ZERO interest in a VBAC. I've been having BH's for months now, about 1/2 the pregnancy.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
I didn't really have any. I was clearly dilating, as I was 2 cm a few days before I went into labor both times but didn't really have noticeable ctrx before either.

Have many more noticeable ctrx this time, but so far know they're not doing anything based on recent sonogram that showed "normal" cervix for my stage of pregnancy.

In my last pregnancy, I know that on Wednesday my cervix was anterior because the midwife checked me due to the fact that my midwife was out of time and I'd never met the on call midwife - she wanted me to at least shake the on-call midwife's hand if she thought I was showing any signs of eminent labor (I was almost 39 weeks at this appt and my first baby had come just a couple days past 39 weeks).

Anyway, with my first baby, I got up that morning went to the gym, ran some errands and came home to shower. My water broke right before I got in the shower. But I clearly felt fine that morning, given that I went to the gym and all.

With my 2nd, my DH and I went out on a date ... came home and had to put sheets on the bed (at 11:30 p.m. because I'd washed them earlier that day). While putting sheets on the bed, I realized I was having ctrx (which I'd had a few of but nothing consistent). I laid down on my left side - they stopped. Got up and finished putting sheets on the bed. But when I was standing again, I started contracting again. I did this lay down - stop - get up - start thing a few times. Because my first came quickly - 5 1/2 hours - I didn't want to delay going to the hospital too much if I was really in labor (plus the ctrx I was having were 2 min a part). I finally called the midwife who said to go ahead and come in - given my anterior cervix, history of delivery around 39 weeks and ctrx every 2 min. Worst case scenario is I'd have to go home. I hung up and went to the bathroom where I noticed some blood and realized labor was eminent. We got up my other DD and called my MIL to go to hospital - she was watching DD. Ctrx continued the whole way to the hospital, ranging from every 90 seconds to 3 minutes. They weren't really uncomfortable though (very different from the ctrx I had w/ my first when my water had already broken), so I still wasn't really sure I was in active labor.

But when I got to hospital - they clearly thought they were not admitting me based on my demeanor - they finally checked me in triage after like 1/2 an hour. And I was almost 7 cm. So I was admitted and had my baby about 2 hours later.

So no real "signs" of labor other than ctrx started (or my water broke).
iVillage Member
Exactly. As if your body doesn't have enough going on that you have to be deprived of sleep before the baby actually arrives.
iVillage Member

I didn't go into labor with my 1st (I was induced), but with my 2nd I did. The only remarkable things were that I had a huge nesting frenzy at 38 weeks, followed by a huge lazy phase (I both went into labor

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Michele- Can I have your labor...pretty please.. I would so love not to spend most of my bathroom trips

Photobucket

Pages