Not sure how to handle this...

iVillage Member
Not sure how to handle this...
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 9:19am

Awhile back, my SO's mom told me she wanted to buy us a crib and dresser for the baby. She even cut out a bunch of pictures and glued them to a card for my shower saying she'd take me shopping for one soon. Well, that was the last she said anything of it and the baby will be here in 6 weeks. I realize he won't actually be sleeping in the crib right away, but I kind of wanted to have it set up and I need the dresser to put

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 11:51am

Is she nearby? Could you suggest a lunch & shopping date to go look at them together? Frame it as an opportunity to get to know each other better, bubble about it a bit and talk about how excited you are about doing it together?

River

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 2:30pm

Well, that would be a great suggestion, except that she had already said (not realizing I was within earshot in the next room) that she wanted her daughter to take me because she thinks it would be uncomfortable to spend a day with me. I've been living with her son for almost 8 years, but we've never gotten really close and now I just feel awkward. I'm wondering if she realized I heard her make that comment and now is just avoiding the subject. Either way, not really sure how to best approach it. I was thinking maybe I could just ask her if she wanted me to take a look at something online (which I sort of already did) and show it to

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 5:12pm

Well my FIL gave my husband the money for the crib and furniture after we purchased it -because i was tired of waiting for them to buy it plus i didn't want the furniture from where they wanted it. I had him call and tell FIL that i was going to furniture store and picking stuff out and FIL said ok and give him receipt. He gave him the cash for the furniture. I wouldn't wait any longer. Mine took 6-7 weeks to come in.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 5:52pm

Unless you have talked about the fact that you overheard her, then my advice would be to pretend you did not.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 8:06pm

i think your SO should ask his mom about it..I had DH

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 9:46pm

Yea, I'm thinking it might just be more comfortable to have my SO talk to her. I know she hasn't bought anything because she told me she'd let me pick it out and I can't see her just deciding for me. Although you never know.

I just think it's going to be easier if I have him do it. I know it sort of skirts around the issue, but I'd just feel more comfortable. Plus, I have no idea what sort of price range she had so even though I have an idea of what I wanted, I don't even know if she'd be willing to buy it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 1:48pm

I agree with Jen,

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 9:34pm

That's a good idea

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 10:53am
Why don't you have your SO mention to his mom that you guys are trying to get everything ready for the baby and a main thing left is the crib.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 8:31pm

At dinner tonight, I asked him to PLEASE call her. I really hope he does...otherwise, I'm really going to be forced to ask and I just feel so awkward about it. Ughh!!! I mean, I am so grateful that she offered to do this because it's really an expense we can't afford, but I sort of need to know her intentions at this point.

Photobucket