Nursing Laying Down? (At night??)

iVillage Member
Nursing Laying Down? (At night??)
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 1:44am

Any of you nursing laying down at night ...and falling asleep yourself during/after?

I would LOVE to start laying-nursing but I am just too nervous-- baby is so little and I feel like my boob is covering his whole face (I hold it off his nose with my hand when we do attempt to lay-down nurse).

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:40pm
Yes. I have done this with all my kids. It's the only way I can get any decent sleep. I honestly have no idea how one can make themself actually get out of bed to BF! Too much work! :D

I was paranoid of my boob smothering the baby too, but I just position myself above him a little so he has to actually raise his head a bit to reach the nipple. That way his nose is back further and not touching the breast.

If you really think abnout it--in other parts of the world, it is the norm to bedhsare and nurse your infant that way. The majority of the time it is perfectly safe as long as you don't bedshare while on sedatives, alcohol. or with a heavy sleeper, or tons of pillows and comforters.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 11:31pm

:smileyvery-happy: Well, you probably already know that I do... and occasionally get lectured for it... (basically you can do anything unsafely: sleeping in cribs, carseats, beds, couches, etc.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:21am
This is how baby and I sleep every night!! It's great because it allows me to be reasonably well rested for my other two kids when they're ready to start the day.

I cradle baby in my arm so her head is elevated. I've nursed all 3 this way. I'm not terribly large breasted though ... B-C cup.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 1:52am

Very interesting, Ladies!! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 2:07pm

How do you sleep through nursing? Just curious.What if baby takes a break from the latch. Jenna does and i put her back on breast.. She also feeds on both breasts usually each feeding.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 3:13pm

Molly - something that might help in terms of learning the latch... When Jay was having trouble with engorgement I had to nurse hims sitting up for a while... in he cradle position.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 3:39pm

Regarding diapers... during the first month there are a lot of diaper changes... the one thing I absolutely have to get up for