Pain Meds After C-Section?

iVillage Member
Pain Meds After C-Section?
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 8:07pm

I just had a question for any prior CS mommies on the board. After your CS, what kind of pain medication did you use? I remember last time that they offered me 500 mg Motrin and Vicodin, but that I was perfectly fine with just the Motrin. The doctor was discussing this with me yesterday and I told her that the Motrin would be fine and she was shocked. She said "Well, we'll at least write the orders for Vicodin just in case." Vicodin would be the only thing I could really take, I'm allergic to Percoset...but is it really that strange that I didn't take the Vicodin?? Maybe I'm hallucinating and I DID take it last time, but I really don't think so. To be honest, as horrible an experience I had with the CS, I don't remember pain being the worst of it. I actually don't remember being in all that much pain at all and I know I was up showering and meandering about the next morning. I just don't want to assume I'll be fine with just the Motrin and then really regret it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 9:02pm
They gave me a Percoset and 2 ibuprofen each time...forgot if it was every 4 or 6 hrs. But G-d knows I needed it! I'd be buzzing for the nurse as soon as it turned the hour to get my meds. I even took the Percoset at home for the 2-week period following the c-section. I needed it so badly. I didn't even care if I couldn't drive for 2 weeks...I mean I did in the sense that I hated not having my independence like that and I know hubby didn't like having to drive me around everywhere but it is what it is :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 9:12pm
I took 500mg Motrin and Percocet for the first few days. Then at home I stopped taking evrything, except the occasional a Motrin or Percocet if I overdid it and needed something (like thinking I should mop the kitchen floor at 6 days post c-section. D'oh).

I have heard of women only taking the Motrin right after their c-section. Or even NOTHING at all. Everyone has their own tolerance to pain. So I see nothing weird about it.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 9:33pm
You 2 make me look like a pain-killer addict, hahaha! I'm *totally* not, for the record ;) I don't have a high threshold for pain, and I don't try to pretend like I do. Maybe after the first week, I could've done w/o the Percoset but I know I must've taken it so I could actually be functional to the level I wanted to be (and I didn't even over-do it). We'll see what happens this time.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 7:37am

Oh, is the whole not driving for two weeks afterwards only because of the heavier pain meds??? I thought it was from the CS and I didn't really understand that. Well, Percoset is out because of the allergy, but I guess we'll just have to see the state of pain afterwards if I want to use the Vicodin. I especially liked having the heavy duty Motrin afterwards because they gave me enough that I was able to use it to combat the heavy cramps I usually get in my first few periods after birth. I am just really hoping for the same kind of pain experience that I had last time. It will make being home with three kids by myself all day a WHOLE lot easier to manage! Keeping my fingers crossed : )

Photobucket