Prior C-Section Moms

iVillage Member
Prior C-Section Moms
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 7:17pm

I have a question regarding C-Sections. My DD was delivered via CS due to her size and the complications I had with DS (who was also quite large). My biggest problem with it was the fact that I had an anxiety attack on the table and could feel SO much pain. Apparently, my spinal block didn't fully take effect. They ended up having to give me oxygen and I passed out, so i wasn't even able to see DD until she was about 3 hours old. This time around, I debated trying for a VBAC, but given the size of my babies it is just going to be safer for me to do a repeat CS. I have to meet with the anestesiolgist (sp?) at my 30 week appt. to discuss what happened the last time and my options for this one. My doctor was telling me that one thing they can do is to knock me out completely. While I'm sure this might be the best option for me considering what happened last time, I'm a little nervous about this. Has anyone else been totally knocked out for their CS? I'd much rather NOT do this because you totally miss the birthing experience, but I figured I would listen to other opinions. It's really somthing I might have to consider, but am really not excited about.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 9:14pm

Chances are that the interventions and such are what caused your csect, not the size of the baby. Try contacting ICAN and hear what they have to say. I have been given the same "baby too big" bit as well as many of the women there. They went on to have much better births once they learned about what sabatages a birth and what does not. ICAN has online groups and usually, a group that is local to you.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 11:41pm

*hugs*

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 2:25am

I am from the june board.. i was knocked out the first time after being in labor 50 plus hours over 4 pushing i did every one of those things you see in birthing videos the bar kneeling,the sheet the even tried vacuum , the second

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 7:48am

Thanks, River. Yes, I'll be interested too. It's not that I'm against the CS, especially because I don't want to do anything that could cause any harm to either me or the baby, but I just don't want the same experience I had last time. I'm looking forward to meeting with the anestesiologist and maybe that will better prepare me this time around, but hopefully there are some other moms on the board who have gone through a similar situation.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 3:44pm

Liz, I totally understand.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 5:43pm
I'm sorry for what happened during the c/s birth of your DD.

I had a prior c/s, but had an epidural (since it was done after a FTP labor--also for a 'big baby'). The only thing I experienced was that the epidural had to be turned up very high because, for some reason, it wouldn't take on one side of my belly. So I ended up being totally numb up to my neck. I did have a VBAC for my second child, and plan to this time as well. My VBAC baby was bigger, but she was also in the best position for birth (anterior, as opposed to posterior like my c/s born son was).

I think the appt, where you meet with the anesthesiologist will be really benificial, and where you will get most of, if not all of, your answers. Hopefully it was just a fluke with your spinal last time, and siince this time they are aware of the prior compication, they will most likely be prepared to try to handle it effeciently.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 6:05pm

Thanks for your input, girls. I'm glad I'm meeting with the anestesiologist, too, because I'm hoping it will ease some of my fears. I just hate the thought of not being able to experience any of it, although I will NOT be looking under the sheet this time. Sheesh, there are some things one does not need to see and your organs all out of whack is one of them...heeheehee!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 6:34pm

What? you don't want to see your insides?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 6:40pm
not the same scenario as you, but i had a c-section w/ my son. i'm short -- 5' tall only -- and narrow. my son was 7 lbs 10 oz and 21.5"...pretty big boy for a mama my size. i wasn't progressing past 3 cm's and my dr said i'd probably wind up pushing for 2 hrs and then needing a c-section...so i just opted for the less stressful situation. the dr basically told me i had pelvic mismatch...and my son did have some black & blues on his head when he came out, so i'm pretty sure she was right. i'm opting for a scheduled c-section this time around because of the reason i had the 1st c-section...it will most likely happen again. and i just have no desire to try vbac. i needed 2 epidurals w/ my son b/c the 1st one never took but the 2nd one worked like magic. i remember being terrified that i'd feel them cutting & pain but they assured me i wouldn't -- they tested for any sensations -- and i didn't have any feeling below the chest area at all. i will have a spinal block this time b/c it'll be scheduled and i'll certainly make sure i don't have any issues. i'm sure you will explore your options and figure out what's best for you and your baby! good luck! :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 7:08pm

Thanks, leeshy! And no, River, I guess I'm weird that way. Doesn't every woman want to see what her insides look like?

Photobucket

Pages