Question about baby rooming with you after L&D

iVillage Member
Question about baby rooming with you after L&D
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 8:46am

When I had DD15, i was in ton of pain (nasty episiotomy, uterus contracting, and exhausted from pushing so long. I had a horrible spinal headache too (that everyone was discounting) from epidural..I didn't take care of her in the middle of night i don't think (although i couldn't sleep). They took her to nursery. Now they room with you all the time. How hard is it when you're a mess after a possible long and diffcult delivery (if mine is same as first --hope not) and have to get up constantly and take care of the baby when you can hardly take care of yourself ? I hope DH can stay because i know i will be so tired

Pages

iVillage Member
In the hospital where I go, you can have the baby with you as little or as much as you like. I remember going to get him at around 5am -- then they take the babies back from 7-9am to be checked by the dr daily -- and then keeping him all day until about 11-something at night. I never kept him fully overnight w/ me so I could try and get some rest, even though it was hard to do. Esp. the first few nights it's SUPER difficult to do anything after the c-section.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Yeah i have heard things are different now (from when i had my 15 yr old). That unless there's a serious issue, they keep baby with you the whole time (unless baby with pediatrician, etc). Although i will prob only be staying for a day and a half anyway (2 nights but not a full 48 hours). THey discharge you by 11am. I doubt iwill be there for 48 hours.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 10:35am

Ok, this might be a little "controversial" but I only ever had DS room in with me the whole time. With DD, I had the CS, so the first night they had to take her and then I just had them keep taking her during the night because I was such an emotional wreck (my hormones do som CRAZY things after birth) and SO didn't stay with me because we had DS at home. I really felt terrible about doing this, like I was a bad mom or something, but then I had this great nurse who told me it was probably the last time in awhile that I'd be able to get some sleep and that no one minded in the least bit to take her.

Honestly, this time around I plan on doing the same thing. Now, I don't mean I dump the baby off with the nursery at 9 pm and then take him back at 9 the next morning. Usually what I did last time is I would wait until the baby at around 11 or 12 and then would would send her out until maybe 5 or 6 in the morning.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 10:44am

You should just make your request clear with the nurses at the hospital how much you want your peanut with you.

At our hospital i can have baby in the room with me as much as I want.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 11:20am
It depends on the hospital. My first two kids it was rooming in 24-7 but the hospital im going to now has a nursery and its up to you. the other hospital is the same when i would come in at 7 am there would be about 15 babies in there :)... .They probably don't advertise it but you can probably send them out.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 11:35am

that's what i am saying. This hospital i am delivering at keeps baby with you.. The one i had my first child no longer delivers babies. Thanks everyone!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 11:38am

I agree that they probably don't advertise but will keep the baby.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 12:25pm
You HAVE to keep the baby in with you all of the time? At my hospital the baby can be in the room as much or as little as I want. So many people gave us the advice of - USE the nursery while you are there! That you need that those few days to recover and will be with baby 24/7 when you go home. The nurses should bring you the baby when you want or when baby is hungry.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 12:46pm

That's how it was when i had my DD15 (baby in nursery unless you wanted baby with you) ..and i did a post a while ago asking what things have changed. this was one that everyone said.had changed since i had my only child to date..

Then when i got my hosp papers, i talked to coordinating maternity nurses (twice) and that's what they said (that baby stays with you the whole time so you can used to taking care of the baby) ...I will try and have DH stay with me the whole time anyway i guess. it will only be like 36 hours prob with an uneventful vaginal delivery.

iVillage Member

With all of my previous babies, the hospitals did not even have a nursery for the babies to stay in so I was in the same situation where they had to room-in the entire time.

Pages