Question about me or DH being sick when in labor?

iVillage Member
Question about me or DH being sick when in labor?
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 2:40pm

my daughter unfortunately has a freaking cold since Saturday...If DH has a cold, will hosp not allow him with me at L&D or around baby? How about me if i am sick? Will they put baby in NICU? This just sucks. I hope we don't get her cold. UGH

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 3:48pm
I don't know what they would do about parents who are sick. I am pretty sure siblings would have to stay away. I hope everyone gets and stays well so you don't have to worry about that.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:05pm
If anything they could have him wear a mask while in the room, and scrubs. BUT I would ask your Dr and see wht he/she says about this scenario. Lots of hand washing is my second guess :)

Dont sweat the this, you guys will be fine ;)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:12pm

thanks..Hopefully me and DH don't get the cold and i don't go into labor until DD is better. (otherwise she will stay home) jeez --i never thought of this stuff.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 5:52pm
Alex wouldn't be allowed to visit...or shall I say she shouldn't be near a newborn even w/ a cold :( As for hubby, not too sure...they may allow him there but w/ a mask at all times (maybe not). I really don't think they'd put a baby in NICU for no reason...meaning if Jenna is healthy and fine, just b/c mom may have a cold, doesn't mean there's something wrong w/ her. I know many women develop fevers and such after delivery often, and I don't think they keep the baby away unless in situations where something's contagious. Let us know what your dr says.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 6:13pm

Well we're not sick right now. (hopefully we stay that way). I know someone who had a baby and had a slight fever so they did keep baby for observation in NICU (same hosp. i am delivering) plus she had to stay 4 nights in stead of 2 for vaginal..

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:15pm

Well, it depends on what the illness is at our hospital (as well as if the baby is fullterm)... masks and handwashing of course, but I really don't know where they draw the line, and say OUT!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:29pm
I'd ask your doctor about hospital policy, but keep in mind that colds are a part of life. Your baby actually has immunity from you (even w/o breastfeeding) for about 90 days (I developed shingles the day after giving birth to my second child so had done quite a bit of research on this topic). And the risk of baby getting chicken pox (if she'd touched the sores directly) is much more serious than baby getting a cold. They simply told me to keep the blisters (on my abdomen) covered and nurse (I nursed by pulling down the top of my shirt instead of lifting it up).

At any rate, i know you are planning to breastfeed, so that will increase baby's immune response as well. I wouldn't personally worry too much about a cold. My 2nd baby did have her first cold by 6 weeks or so (courtesy of big sister). It's inevitable when other kids are around.

But in the meantime, wipe down all surfaces you can daily and wash hands diligently. And insist your older DD also practices good hygiene (hand washing, coughing / sneezing in her elbow, etc).

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 2:01pm

i asked midwife today about the colds and newborns (atthough i don't think baby coming this week anyway). So she said when i have a cold, it would be good for baby and give immunity to baby and she said baby has immunity already (something like that?). I have had 2 colds pregnant. She said they usually worry more about flu symptoms not really colds unless you're really sneezy. If you are, they probably will tell them to wash their hands constantly and possibly wear a mask. So that's it...