Questions to ask OB

iVillage Member
Questions to ask OB
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 9:19am

I have my app't tomorrow where we are going to discuss induction due to excess fluid/mobility of baby.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:52am

I would ask what the various induction options are and what he/she recommends.

Then, I would ask him/her to walk through the process from start to post delivery - what meds are used all the way through, what the effects are likely to be, and what the risks are (and how they compare to other options)

River

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 9:15pm
I would ask about the process too-- meaning once they get things started, by what criteria do they adjust the pitocin-- and would they consider turning OFF the pitocin periodically to see if you own body has kicked in.

Another option is to have them check you (dilation/effacement) when you arrive & if you have any good signs, there are other options to try first.
That is what I did-- I was pleasantly suprised at my induction appt to find I was 4cm and somewhat effaced, so I asked for first:
* Requested she sweep my membranes and let me walk around for a few hours. She let me do this and nothing came of it :-) so then I said "how about AROM?" (breaking my water) but I asked to take a nap first!! She was okay with an hour or so rest, then she broke my water... and luckily that was enough and I avoided drugs altogether.

So I'd ask what options are there for inducing the START of labor but letting the body handle as much of it naturally as possible (ideally without too strict of a time restraint... just because its induced doesnt mean it needs to be out in 4 hours)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 3:33pm

Thanks ladies, turns out I didn't have to get into that discussion today.