Sharp, stabbing pains under right rib cage after CS?

iVillage Member
Sharp, stabbing pains under right rib cage after CS?
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 4:17pm

So, I've been having these pains since probably Saturday or so. For several hours each day, I have these sharp, stabbing pains under my right rib cage every time I breathe. They seem to be worse if I'm sitting or laying down. Of course, I brought it up in the hospital and they told me it was probably a gas bubble trapped under there from the anestesia, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it? I have enough to worry about right now without thinking this is some sort of major medical problem!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm not sure when you had your CS, I had mine about 3 weeks ago and had sharp stabbing pains as well...mine were lower though, in my stomach area on the right side (not near my incision site though) .

iVillage Member

Yea, I'm starting to wonder if they bruised a rib or even cracked one or something because I can't really see it being anything TOO serious. I suppose I will give it the same time frame you did and then see about it it's not gone. Thanks for making me feel a little better...I try not to search these things on the Internet because you always end up reading that "worst case scenario" and end up thinking you have it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

i never had a CS..but i would guess indigestion/ trapped gas.

iVillage Member

I know how you feel when you look it up online...it seems like people only post really negative stuff!!!

iVillage Member
Just lurking from the Oct board but wanted to share that when I had my last c/s with my DS I had the same horrible pain. I was so uncomfortable and the Drs I saw kept trying to give me pain meds which obviously weren't working (not to mention, I didn't want to be taking meds like that anymore). Finally a Dr gave me a sample of Prevacid because he said it was probably some kind of intestinal gas or heartburn and IT WORKED! I was so relieved! It felt like my ribs were settling back into place after being all stretched out and it really hurt... I never would have thought for a second that it was gas pain because it hurt in my bones...I hope you get some relief soon!
Uploaded with
iVillage Member

Thanks for the tip...I might try some Prevacid. I'm feeling less worried because it is MUCH less painful today, but still there so maybe the Prevacid will do the trick. Thanks again : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I had a laparoscopic procedure done today and immediately after waking up experienced the same thing, I asked the nurse and she said that it was just gas from being put under. She said it will go away on its own. She said the best way to get comfortable it to put your body in a reclining position ( like you were sitting in recliner) and bend your knees up to your chest. She also said that with any abdominal surgery that often the pain will radiate to your shoulders, and I have that as well. She said that best thing for that is to get up and move around, by sitting in bed or on the couch, it doesn't help. I am in no pain at my operation sights and would probably feel 100% if it wasn't for this sharp gas pain. I took some gasx hoping it would relieve the pressure but no such luck. I wouldn't worry about it, she said that it is 100% normal. Good luck with everything!