Sick/congestion while pregnant?

iVillage Member
Sick/congestion while pregnant?
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 5:38pm

Hi there,

I was just thinking the other day how wonderful that I haven't gotten sick during this pregnancy.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 6:35pm

yes had a cold twice. I was told i could take Robitussin and esp. cough syrup w/ Guafenesin, theraflu, mucinex, cough drops and my love --the netipot!! Feel better!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 2:22pm

Sorry you got sick...I hope you are well by now!

What I have done: Steamy baths or showers (though take care that the water is not too hot when you get in for the bath)... though being in a humid environment seems to help... LOTS of fluids - and when a sore throat is involved ice cream and milkshakes before bedtime are really super helpful (though not so much if I am having heartburn or cannot eat right before bedtime because of the pregnancy)... soup and other warm foods... rest... more fluids... I've used zyrtec mostly because I do have allergies and when I have a cold, my allergies are worsened so I end up fighting sniffles on two fronts... so if I proactively take the zyrtec... then I just have the cold to work on. I've done a little robotussin but only

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 2:41pm

Yea, I checked various pharmacies. None have Tylenol cold.

BabyFetus Ticker
Community Leader
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 3:06pm

Hi! I'm having my baby next week and am just getting over a cold (I'm on day 12). :/ My husband was kind enough to give it to me two Friday's ago, so I got to spend my entire 3day Memorial Day weekend sick in bed.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 3:25pm

Yes lots of fluids.. I love my theraflu and i love my NETIPOT!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 5:50pm
I was very sick during my last pregnancy and took Robitussin DM as needed to be able to sleep at night, and during the day I put my head over steaming water (not quite boiling, and with a towel over my head) to get congestion relief from headaches and clogged ears. Helped a lot!
FEEL BETTER SOON!!! Rest as much as you can and keep super hydrated, and gargle many times a day, that is the only way to speed recovery a little bit. :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 5:51pm
P.S. My 3 yr old and my husband have been sick for about 10 days. I have been obsessively washing my hands but occassionally my sons spits on my face (not in a rude way LOL) or shoves his hands into my mouth sorta by accident LOL so we'll see if I am sick any day now...