solids, how much?

iVillage Member
solids, how much?
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 11:32am

So True has been getting cereal once a day (at supper when we eat) for a couple weeks.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-06-2012 - 1:40pm
Medically speaking, solids are truly just for practice right now and milk (breastmilk or formula should be the primary nutrition for baby through 12 months). Ideally as much as 80 percent of babies calories will still be from baby milk at 12 months (Dr. Sears says 50-80 percent, so if you're a mom who wants to move to solids faster 50 percent is probably a better goal for you).

To ensure baby gets adequate milk, feed milk before solids. We always start with one meal / day (and actually not every day for us usually). And then I do sort of follow baby's lead and we just naturally start eating a bit more throughout the day ... a snack here and there, etc. I think my first baby moved to truly 2 meals a day around 10-11 months and wasn't ready to eat three full solid meals a day until 14 months maybe. She did eat snacks and things though.

Here's a great site that I really like that gives wonderful menu ideas and serving sizes.

http://mother-2-mother.com/samplemenus.htm

HTH
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-06-2012 - 5:42pm
Carsyn started out on cereal once in the morning and then he moved onto trying some stage one veggies at dinner and now he eat fruits or cereal for breakfast. Veggies for lunch and a dinner for supper all stage two.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-09-2012 - 8:56pm

I never usually measure the baby cereal part. I mix it with about 2 oz or so of breast milk (occasionally I have to use banana baby food due to too many night feedings). She still gets the baby cereal in the morning, then a half jar of baby food (fruit or veggy) at night. I make sure to nurse her before she eats so she doesn't get too cranky during feedings. Abbie is a really messy eater, she often gets more on her than in her...

Photobucket