Sores on nipples!

iVillage Member
Sores on nipples!
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 5:52pm
I am breastfeeding...had the latch wrong in the beginning and got sore, then became engorged which aggravated the sores. Now we have the latch down but the sore will not heal! Anyone else experienced this problem...any solutions?
I'm using the lanolin but that just keeps the nipples soft and moist, it doesn't help with healing. I don't want the sores to get worse and have to stop nursing, which is what happened with DD.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 6:05pm
Pop on over to the lactation consultant / breastfeeding support board (there is a board certified lactation consultant that responds to a very high number of the posts personally and many "regular" and experienced breastfeeding posters as well. The CL is actually in a community training program ... basically working toward becoming an LC, I think. At any rate an incredibly knowledgeable group).

Here's the link:
http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Breastfeeding-Support-Ask-the/ct-p/iv-ppbreastfeed

My first thought is to dump the lanolin. More likely to heal w/ just air drying and breast milk (which has antibacterial properties). You could also consider all purpose nipple ointment (can be mixed by a compounding pharmacy, using this recipe): http://www.thenewbornbaby.com/breastfeeding/dr-jack-newmans-articles/apno/

Also, the ivillage breastfeeding / lactation consultant site linked above has a similar recipe you can mix yourself ... I just don't know what it is, but they could definitely tell you.

In the meantime, check out some of these tips (kellymom.com is also maintained by a board certified lactation consultant and is the most informative and breastfeeding web site, I've every seen ... worth bookmarking):
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 6:46pm

happened to me a little but i used lanolin, and also breast milk expressed and also did some pumping when i first engorged. I am good now.. Hope you feel better and get back on track!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 11:29pm

I have never breastfed (hope to with this one) but in my reading I have seen a lot of people talk about using a nipple shield on that breast until the sores heal.. still allows you to nurse but baby wouldn't actually be irritating it while feeding.. just throwing it out there.. like I said I really have no idea.. I guess I will learn soon!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-16-2011 - 12:28am
Nipple shield are more often used when baby is having a hard time latching on to mom's nipple (say if mom has inverted nipples for example). They can create their own problems (but certainly can help fix a lot of problems as well), but are generally best used when suggested by and under the guidance of a board certified lactation consultant.

They do come in different sizes and have to be applied correctly. If a nipple shield is needed or if you think it might help with a particular problem you might be having, an LC can make sure you get all the details of fit and function perfect for your body and baby and can also give you a plan for weaning from the shield.

Good luck!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-16-2011 - 10:15am

If you have access to an LC locally, sometimes having them look at it can be very helpful, and I would check with the board mentioned.

I personnally have had occasional sores

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-16-2011 - 10:38am
Thanks ladies! I have the prescription mixture now, going to start using it today and really hoping that will help. I am still nursing (painfully) through it. The latching is better and the sores haven't gotten worse at all. It's just hard to heal a sore that gets sucked on every 2 hours!
I live in a very small town with no stores that sell any type of breast shell or things like that...I did check them out on eBay along with the nipple shield. One problem is they will take 1-2 weeks to get here...and I have my fingers crossed I'll be heal up by then!!
Thanks for all the info, those links are great.
Photobucket