Still exclusive bf (or formula)?

iVillage Member
Still exclusive bf (or formula)?
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 2:16am

This could be a controversial post, but I am hoping that the controversy can be avoided.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 9:28am
We're still exclusively breastfeeding too. I'm also a very gradual weaner and am in fact a big proponent of baby led weaning. We won't actually start solids of any kind until at least 6 months and possibly later, depending on how she responds to them. When we do start solids, I tend to offer them somewhat infrequently ... whenever I can fit it in. Food allergies run in the family, so I do try to keep to the non-allergenic foods and one new food at a time.

My oldest daughter nursed until after her 4th birthday (and I actually finally ended the last nursing session ... she was ready, but she has a really hard with giving up something she's always done, even if she doesn't "need" it anymore. She just can't imagine life without it ... so she has to be pushed from time to time).

My middle daughter did self-wean somewhere around 3 1/2. I don't have a date. Just realized one day that had been a couple of weeks and then a few weeks later realized she still hadn't asked, so she must be done.

This little baby isn't as attached to nursing right now as either of the other two, so she might wean earlier and might even take to solids more readily when they are introduced. But you never know. Still I will at least encourage her to continue nursing until her 2nd birthday at least ... but if she'd set on weaning on her own before then, I'll oblige (but not before her 1st birthday).

I definitely still think of my 3 1/2 month old as a baby and no where near being ready for solid foods. And I too am always surprised by the early introduction of solid foods just because it seems (to me) so unnecessary and like it's pushing them to grow up too fast. But my kids haven't ever taken to solids that great initially. The first was better than the 2nd but even she didn't really get into solid foods until closer to 9 months when she could feed herself little morsels of food. Purees weren't her thing. It just seemed to me that she really started to get interested in food about the time that she could really start eating it all by herself - hence when I became a fan of the baby-led weaning.

As for growing them up too fast - I totally get that's just the way it makes me feel. And I tend to think of my 1 year olds as still babies. I won't let them graduate to toddlerhood until at least 18 months ... and maybe 24 months.

I'll likely not ever use formula because I don't tend to struggle with milk supply, and I don't mind pumping if I have to when I'm away from baby. So I don't have a need for formula. I remember when my oldest was just past her 1st birthday I got a call to participate in a survey about the new toddler formulas that were just hitting the market. They seemed so perplexed that I agreed that a baby could use more nutrients at 14 months than they would get from whole milk and their limited food diet, but that I still wouldn't be likely to buy the toddler formula. I kept saying, but I'm still nursing! Breastmilk is still the most complete food for babies and toddlers and it's still free, compared to your very expensive toddler formula. So why would I buy it?!
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 10:17am

Well, I know I'm definitely in the minority as far as these things go, but figured you might be interested anyway. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 11:17am
We are still exclusively nursing and will probably be for a while I'll talk to her doctor at her 4 month appt I was reading that babies with heart conditions shouldn't have any solids till 6ish months so I need to find the peds thoughts then maybe speak to her cardiologist . She's not at a point she's ready for solids anyway.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 11:58am

I haven't started any solids with Eve yet, but I am spoon feeding her.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 7:08pm

I've normally waited until 4 months and with Josh's ped, they told me to actually start on veggies instead of cereal, which I did. He ate fruits and veggies like a champ and when I DID try to give him cereal, he hated it. Jillian had really bad reflux and couldn't keep formula down, let alone solids. She didn't have any solids until 6 months and wasn't really even eating anything other than formula regularly until more like 8 months. With Jack, I'll see what his ped says at his four month checkup, but I won't be starting anything before then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 10:17pm

Liz - it is funny what you said about cereal - I tried cereal first with my first two because that is what the books say... Totally failed with the first (I started with the cereal sometime after 6 mos)... he wouldn't even take a single bite.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 10:56pm
I love that you are focused on the individuality of your children! I just wanted to share that because I actually think as a society we get caught up on "systems". I see it more in discipline than in feeding, but my one complaint about supernanny, babywise, healthy sleep happy child (or whatever it's called) is that they all say "use this system". If it doesn't work for your kid, you're clearly not doing it right. They just don't take into account the individual needs of children or families.

I fall into this trap at times too, so it just really makes me smile when I see or read about someone who so deliberately has handled the same situation totally differently based on the needs of the individuals involved. It's a great reminder for me - and hopefully others that there very frequently isn't a "one size fits all approach"
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:42am

Jenna's still exclusively breast fed (when she has her weekend 2 bottles, its breast milk. lol. 4mth appt dr. said she could have cereal, etc. if we thought she was interested. I think she might be but with allergies in my family (my daughter and me) probably won't introduce solids until 6mths or close to it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 8:07pm

I also plan to introduce a sippy a little earlier than I normally do. In the past, I've waited until they were past a year and it was a nightmare to go from bottle to cup. I'm hoping that if I start giving it to Jack (not all the time, but occasionally) at around 6 months, he might be easier to wean from the bottle. That was my worst bad habit with my first two-they had that bottle WAY longer than they probably should have!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 5:20pm

It's funny, but when my second was a toddler my sister commented on how she hated how hard he had to suck on those spill-proof sippies.

Pages