Switching to soy?

iVillage Member
Switching to soy?
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 7:56pm

Let me start by saying me and all of my sisters, along with SO's mother all needed soyformula when little due to cows milk allergy.

but ever since he started on formula he has been quite the puker, but it will calm down for a tiny bit,then start up again. but recently it has been bad, he pukes up everything he eats, screams like he is in pain and hasn't wanted to eat much even though he's starving, i'm thinking that just like the rest of us he is allergic to cows milk? anyone else have this problem? I'm new to this with him being my first baby...

photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 8:18pm

Every one of my children has needed to be switched to soy at some point. With DS1, it took me almost two months to figure out the problem...he wasn't spitting up, he was just super gassy and fussy ALL THE TIME and never slept, just would scream in pain unles he was being carried or in his carseat or swing. With DD, she had the same symptoms and was also spitting everything up, so I switched her to soy at just a week old since I didn't want to go through the same problems we had with DS1. The soy cured everything except for the spit up, which she continued to do until she was about a year. Now with Jack, he is having much of the same issue as DS1....always in pain, screaming unless held or upright. I didn't want to switch to soy because I'd heard they'd stopped recommending it, but when I called his doctor yesterday, she told me to give the soy a try since it had worked so well with my other two. He's only had two bottles on it, so I can't say for sure that it's working yet...I'm sure it will take awhile. We're going to keep him on it until Monday when he has his next appt and if we don't see any improvement then we'll talk about something else. Other than soy, I've seen formulas designed for this kind of thing..namely Enfamil A.R. which says right on the can is used for excessive spit up. Maybe you could try that if soy doesn't work?? With me, it's really hard to narrow down the cause because he's NOT spitting up so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is-I'm just going on past experience.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 8:25pm

ya I called his doctors off-hour number and they said to go put him on soy where i'm lactose intolerant and every baby in my family needed it. it's his first bottle on it and his first bottle in a while where he hasn't spit it all up and no screaming either. fingers crossed it stays like this!!

He was the same way, not happy unless i was bouncing him of he was in his swing.

photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers