What are you using for your BB's entertainment??

iVillage Member
What are you using for your BB's entertainment??
Wed, 09-28-2011 - 8:24am

Okay..couldn't quite figure out how to phrase the question as I'm having a brain fart this morning :p

I mean to say, what purchases are you using now? I have heard people mention jumpers/bouncers right now, but I was wondering whether your BB are really doing well in them..

Abbie doesn't really enjoy her swing too much anymore because she has turned into a wiggly worm and the swing makes her feel sleepy and she gets irritated with it.. We recently got her a bumbo seat and she deals well with it and like it for a little while here and there through the day.. She HATES her playpen..she just feels claustrophobic or something and freaks out in it.. We have yet to really purchase an activity /exersaucer seat for her..

Just wondering what everyone's BB is into right now...

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Eve is ok in the swing only for a few minutes, usually less than 5, then she'll get fussy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
True has too many options! He is a big strong boy and absolutely loves the jolly jumper...it must be so freeing for babies for not be laying or held. I don't leave him in it long, 15 minutes and I sit with him the whole time. He likes his jumperoo but only for a short while...I park it in front of the computer and put on a baby stimulating video I found on YouTube that he loves (Mozart for my baby, it's shapes and colors)
He still is a swing addict, he sleeps in it during the day. I also use the bimbo on the kitchen counter if I'm cooking. The bouncy chair I use and prop him in front of the tv (shame on me) to watch toons(cartoons) with DD while I do housework. He also enjoys being propped up in the nippy pillow on the couch while I read to DD or if I'm sitting on the couch with him as long as o don't get up out of his sight.
I have tendinitis in my shoulder right now from carrying him around (DH is gone away for work, leaving me to do everything for the babe and a very demanding 3yr old, thank goodness my DS(8) is a big help) so I have to use all my seats and things to put him down a lot. Somedays I can't lift my arm at all!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I can vouch for the water thing as well!!! Jack such a crab in early evening (of course, my busiest time with the older two and SO often isn't home until 7 or 8) but as soon as I give him a bath, he calms right down. I've tried giving him his bath before dinner, but I think he gets disoriented because he's learned to associate the bath, with the pj's and cuddling and going to sleep routine we have him in. So...into the carrier he goes and he just fusses his way through dinner and homework for his older siblings. It's been getting more manageable in the last few days, though. He's starting to like his vibrating chair a little better now and I can often put him in that on the kitchen floor so that I can at least get dinner done and he LOVES his older brother and sister, so if I can persuade them to play with him for awhile, he's usually happy.

We are getting the hang of things, though. I hate to let him just cry, but there are times I REALLY need to get something done and then he just has to sit there for a few. It's hard, though, because my older two will sit there and go "Mommy, why are you making Jack sad???" LOL...as if I enjoy making him cry!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I have one of the later July babies ... Jul 28, but she's actually been rolling over since her 1 month birthday and she's strong enough with her legs that she can motivate herself forward a bit ... and I still can't imagine using a jumper or anything right now at just 2 mos. I just really don't think they're quite old enough for this kind of thing yet. When she is old enough, I have a doorway jumper and I also have a stand along activity jumper.

Until recently, my little girl didn't enjoy much of anything beyond being held and loved. But in the last couple weeks, she's decided to love her mobile in her crib (tiny love). She'll be entertained by it for the full 15 minutes it plays. Our play gym is sometimes good too. She doesn't love it as much as the mobile though.

I use our papasan chair mostly while I'm in the shower or need her to sit while I'm cooking, etc. It vibrates and plays music (she hates the music) and I have an activity bar thing I added that she'll sometimes interact with (just starting to bat at the toys). But the chair is definitely hit or miss.

When she's fussy and I can't just sit and hold her, I'll put her in the moby or sling, which she likes. Sometimes, it takes a minute to get her settled, but she always quiets down and usually falls asleep.

Generally not a big fan of the bumbo because I've never understood the need to make my baby sit before she's actually old enough to sit. BUT, my SIL has one for her little boy, and I could see using it when she's a bit older (almost sitting) just as a replacement for the papasan (so basically sitting in my kitchen while I work).

She's just starring to grasp toys ... link a doos are a favorite of mine at this stage. And we have a small rattle or two. Plus my two bigger girls like to show her all sorts of other toys.

And of course the almost never fail entertainment options:
GO OUTSIDE
GET A BATH (if you have a crab ... put him in water! Not sure who first told me that, but it always stuck with me and has been pretty true for all three of my kids).

She loves the outside air and she loves the water.

In the next month or two i expect our mirror to get some good use. And we'll break out the movement scarves for early peek a boo and sensory awareness stuff. Also the tactile rollers and balls ... just little things they can hold, touch and mouth.

But I try to hold her and hug her as much as I can ... she likes people best of all!

iVillage Member
Faizan loves his swing and his playmat. We got this one from target. http://www.target.com/p/Fisher-Price-Discover-N-Grow-Kick-Play-Piano-Gym/-/A-13474602 he loves it!!!

He can tolerate laying on the floor for a while with dh or the other 2 kids. He is facinated by the computer monitors in DH's office.
We are going to get him a jumping seat, our oldest ds loved his and spent forver in it. And we sit out on the deck and just soak up the fresh air and sun.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Jack doesn't really like things for too long when he's not sleeping. He'll tolerate my mom's take along swing probably the most of anything and even that's only for a good 20 minutes or so. It's not that he's a miserable baby, I think he just likes to be moved around and part of the "action". He does enjoy laying on a blanket with his brother or sister since they love to amuse him. He hates the swing I have at home for him and he's very fickle about his bouncy chair. Some days, he'll sit in it for a solid half hour and other days he will scream the second you put him in it. He liked being worn in the carrier until a week ago or so. Now I can't even put him in it. I think it will be nice when he's ready for an exercaucer because there is so much to see and do with those, but he's not big enough for that yet. Also, I bet he's going to be REALLY happy once he's mobile. I definitely see him as a baby on the go!

Photobucket