Wht do you like most about your hospital?

iVillage Member
Wht do you like most about your hospital?
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 4:07pm

Everyone seems to have somethig they like or dislike abt their hospitals where they will be delivering at.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 10:35am
Sound awesome!

I like our hospital because they are supportive of natural birth, with a full staff of certified nurse midwives who deliver there. Not that it affects me, but my hospital also is the only one in our entire state where a woman can attempt a VBAC. My state's physician liability insurance banned the procedure years ago ... but my hospital refused, is now self-insured and still offers the procedure. I think it's wonderful that they are so supportive of childbirth.

The philosophy really is "you're here to have a baby. You're not sick. And we're not going to treat you like you're sick!"

They also have a room service type menu, but I don't remember much about the food. I think it was fine.

On the downside, it's an education-related research hospital so it's not as posh as some of the other hospitals in the area. I do get a private room and all that, but it's just not luxurious. There are hospitals in my area that have very "bedroom" like labor / delivery suites, which I think would be great. But these same hospitals have very high induction / c-section rates. And I know from talking with their L&D nurses that they really aren't a great fan of natural childbirth (they're fine w/ unmedicated birth but they still want women to be constantly monitored, etc., which is sort of counterintuitive when you're trying for an unmedicated birth and need freedom of movement to help w/ discomfort, etc.).

I love that my hospital is SO progressive in it's care and general medical approach (and they have a great NICU, etc.). But I do wish it was more luxurious. That being said, I've never been in the hospital more than 48 hours following the birth of a child - and last time was there for the minimum 24 hours because I just wanted to get home (holiday weekend). So it's not like I'm there a long time, which means the less luxurious accommodations really aren't that big of a deal ... in the grand scheme of things.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 12:05pm
Our hospital also encourages Vbacs as do the nurses and Drs in the clinic. THe nurses encourage natural deliveries and pain meds if you really want them.

The food they have at ours is AWESOME............ it is sooooooooo goood (odd to say tht abt hospital food). The rooms are very very nice, they also have a mini kitchenette for people who want to bring food from home or ordered out to warm up ect.

The nurses are AWESOME, they have such an up beat personality and are super sweet. Our hospital has a level 2 NICU if it requires more we go to the Mayo clinic or up to Minneapolis/St. Paul hospitals.

I am getting excited.EEEEEKK!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 6:54pm

I like the security of the level 3 nicu they have. :) (even though I pray we don't have to use it!)

I love that they now have 24-hour dining according to their website (same place where I had DD #1).

I love that I felt respected and cared for when I was there last time... hope I get that again!

I love that they just remodeled their postpartum wing. :p

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 12:59pm

I also think it's a nice perk that my hospital just remodeled their postpartum wing.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 1:19pm

The rooms here are not that Huge, but enough for visitors to be comfy and they can bring in a roll away bed if you have somene who wants to spend the night if the hide-a-bed chair isnot enough.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 11:27pm
I don't like how my hospital isn't the most supportive of natural childbirth, but there are some things that I love about it. The thing that I love most is how large the L&D rooms are. They're roomy enough that you could comfortable fit a ton of people in the room with you (though you are limited to only 5 guests while you are in labor). They look really nice too. Windows span the entire side of the room, so you can get lots of sunlight in your room. I LOVE that the post partum room are private and they have a fold out couch for a guest to sleep on.
 BabyFetus Ticker