WTH? Exclusively BF on demand (and alot!) and just got my 1st post partum Aunt Flo.........:(

iVillage Member
WTH? Exclusively BF on demand (and alot!) and just got my 1st post partum Aunt Flo.........:(
Fri, 08-12-2011 - 10:26pm

How can this be?? I thought you don't menstruate. This sucks!!! Anyone else have this happen before ? i guess i am really fertile..lol

iVillage Member

Well, I have heard that you can menstruate while BF (my SIL did anyway) but that really stinks that it happened so soon for you!! I'm not looking forward to

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Now the blood went away??? I was having (TMI) some clear mucusy discharge like when you ovulate and then a little blood yesterday but i don't know what it was????? oh well.. hope it stays away. lol

iVillage Member

Jen,

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Oh you know what? I have had the same thing...I don't think it's AF, though. It seems that just when I think my post-partum bleeding is over (you know, I have the same clear discharge so I always think it's finally over) and then it starts up again. Usually this happens when I've overdone things a bit or I wound up sleeping on my stomach the other night and it started back up again. It's annoying!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
i got my period at 4 weeks last time and exclusively breastfed...sorry..i except mine will come soon.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Your baby is right about 6 weeks, yes? It could be a "sixth week bleed" ...

Here's some more info:
http://www.ivillage.com/breastfeeding-nursing-mom-bleeding-four-weeks-postpartum/6-n-137741

At any rate, many moms experience a period-like bleed at around the 6 week pp time and then don't have periods resume for some time.

However, when your period returns while breastfeeding is very unique to every woman. Some women who are exclusively breastfeeding do get their periods back earlier than later and others never menstruate during the entire breastfeeding relationship.

I practice child-led weaning in my house and with both my previous babies my period didn't return until 19 mos pp. However, I rarely pumped and fed milk via bottle, which for some reason DOES make a difference. Because of my status as a student this time around, this baby will receive more bottles and I don't know how that will affect things for us. I know my SIL - also exclusively breastfeeding but a big pumper and feeds bottles when away from the house - had her period return around 6 mos.

Here's more on ecological breastfeeding (or more specifically, breastfeeding and fertility):
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Here's hoping you're experiencing a 6th week bleed. But know that even if your period does return early, it in no way means that you cannot continue to breastfeed.

HTH
iVillage Member

i don't think its my period. Its like clear discharge now so i guess i am in the clear.