August 2013 Chit Chat

iVillage Member
August 2013 Chit Chat
Thu, 08-01-2013 - 3:10pm

Hello?  Anybody left around here besides me?  If so, please post and let us know how your sunshine sweetie is doing these days.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-20-2013 - 2:40pm

Hi Donna -

I can't believe you are still posting on ivillage!  I'm not even sure what made me check-in today as I haven't even come to the site in months........I was actually surprised to see we even had a page anymore, though it looks like you may be the only one using it.

So I'll post an update:  Ashley is doing really well these days.  She is changing and growing every day and it's amazing to watch.  She is talking NONSTOP....which on one hand is great (not hard to figure out what she wants) and on the other hand is super annoying (she's into the repeating phase and they "why" phase.....ugh!).  I find I have little patience for the repitition....especially when she asks for something I'm in the process of getting her - she just can't be patient.  She JUST started calling me mommy - it has been mama FOREVER......and literally last Sunday she woke up and started using mommy?!?!?!  She is still a peanut (only 21lbs 13oz at her 2 year check up), but developmentally I think she's where she needs to be - just small.  We haven't started potty training yet as they don't support it at daycare until she moves to the next room (hopefully by the end of the year), but we have been working on getting her familiar with the potty and learning to pull up/down her pants (she's great with shirts, but struggles with pulling up her pants correctly).  Hopefully when we actually start training her she takes to it well - as she has with all other major transitions in her life.

We had Caleb in April and Ashley adjusted quickly to life with a brother.  She went through a really fussy period and a period of constantly wanting DH to hold/play with her, but in the grand scheme of things it went MUCH better than I anticipated and now everything seems settled.  She is always asking her teachers to see him at daycare and likes to kiss and hug him every night before bed......TOO CUTE!

How's Jenna doing?  I saw your May post about her recent speech progress, YAY!!! Did they decide to continue the therapies?  Seems like a d@mned if you, d@mned if you don't situation.  If she progresses they stop the therapy that was OBVIOUSLY helping and if she doesn't progress then you're left with the lack of progress.....UGH!  I'm assuming school starts soon - are you ready for that?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-23-2013 - 9:46am

Hi Laura!  Thanks for stopping by!

It has been very lonely around here and I do seem to be the only one here most of the time.  We had some activity on April and May and then nothing until now (but summers are alway slow).  I was going to give it until the end of the month and then throw in the towel if nobody but me was here posting.  And every month that I say that someone comes and posts towards the end of the month, so I kept on going.  This year is going to be crazy busy at school so I may be hanging up my hat anyways.  A bunch of other CLs recently quit as well.

I'm so glad to hear that Ashley is doing so well and has adjusted to life with her baby brother.  Oh, the "Why?" stage - so much to look forward to.  Potty training hasn't gone too well here - too many therapy sessions and errands that get in the way.  Besides DH won't support me in it once I go back to work.  Jenna seems interested, but has very few successes - she always tells me just as or just after she's done the deed, never before.  But she hates wearing diapers.

They were going to kick Jenna out of the EI program because Developmentally she's right on track, but her Speech therapist and I fought to keep her in because of the speech issues.  She's really at about an 18 month old level - which is still huge progress, but there is still so much to do.  The cas manager set up a meeting at my house, and within 5 minutes when she heard Jenna using mostly grunts and gestures she decided that Jenna must stay in the program.  So now she gets Speech 2x a week and Developmental Therapy only 2x a month (I wanted that piece to be done).  The Dev. Therapist is supposed to now be targeting Preschool skill - but still does very little and Jenna is bored with the sessions.  In December they will do a mini-assessment to see where Jenna's at and decide if they want to pursue the PreSchool situation at the Child Development Center (for kids 3-5 with special/learning needs).  I doubt that Jenna will be qualified for it, but it would be kind of nice if she did - because then she and Jesse would begin school in the fall and I would no longer have to worry about them being with DH.